The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Starting Psychology any current or past students?

Hi all, I will be starting Pyschology at the Open Universoty this coming October.
I am doing 2 modules at the same time. Investigating Psychology and Introducing the Social Sciences.
Any others studying these modules?
Also any past students got any tips for further reading, much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Hi Jade,

I'm a mature student(48) and am starting Psychology in October too, but only starting the E102 module but hope to apply to start a second module around xmas time. Do you have any tips on what to expect please?

Thanks

Cathy
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Hi guys! I did Investigating Psychology 1 last year and am just about to finish Introducing the Social Sciences. I'm much more into psychology than sociology, so I found the first module much more interesting, but I would say the social sciences module is easier. You don't really need to do any additional reading, to be honest. I found that as the modules went on, I found certain topics very interesting, and just searched for them in the OU library and just read articles about the things that interested me. Both modules are good at easing you into studying online, so don't worry about starting. I really enjoyed both modules, and found some parts challenging, but not too difficult. Some parts I also found very easy and sped through. I think as long as you manage your time well, there's no reason you would have any problems.

I'm starting my next modules in October, and am going to full-time study, which I am looking forward to. Loving studying with the OU, and hope you do too!
Reply 3
Original post by Nerol
Hi guys! I did Investigating Psychology 1 last year and am just about to finish Introducing the Social Sciences. I'm much more into psychology than sociology, so I found the first module much more interesting, but I would say the social sciences module is easier. You don't really need to do any additional reading, to be honest. I found that as the modules went on, I found certain topics very interesting, and just searched for them in the OU library and just read articles about the things that interested me. Both modules are good at easing you into studying online, so don't worry about starting. I really enjoyed both modules, and found some parts challenging, but not too difficult. Some parts I also found very easy and sped through. I think as long as you manage your time well, there's no reason you would have any problems.

I'm starting my next modules in October, and am going to full-time study, which I am looking forward to. Loving studying with the OU, and hope you do too!

Thank you that's really great advice, made me feel more at ease about starting now :smile:
Good luck with your studies this year.
Reply 4
Original post by jade_evie

Also any past students got any tips for further reading, much appreciated :smile:

I've done a few Level 1 Psychology modules and promise you that at Level 1 no additional reading is necessary or expected. I did DE100, E102 and D171. The materials are written in such a way that you'll be eased into the subject without the need for additional (and often expensive) text books. The website articles/videos/audio/quizzes work brilliantly with the text books - I think it's all very well integrated.

My tips would be:
- look at your submission dates, especially as you're doing two modules at once. If there are conflicts speak to both tutors well in advance to see if you can move the dates for one of the modules - they are usually more than happy to help
- don't feel compelled to work at the pace recommended by the module - you might be able to work faster and this can be really helpful towards the end of the year when things get a little bit busier
- if you do work fast, don't submit your work early - there's no bonus and you might miss out on useful info. Often the tutorials/webinars for the assignments come out very close to submission dates. I felt at Level 1 these were really prescriptive and helped clarify exactly what tutors were looking for. Wait until these, review your work, then submit.
- On the Level 1 courses they bang on about reading your tutor feedback a million times. Actually this is something I wish I did more of. Read and read and read it. They usually give such specific advice that'll help you understand how to improve next time - if you apply that to your next submission, the grades will improve
- use any and all of the support services of the OU: if you fall behind, let them know; if you have any sort of disability or learning need, tell them; if you can't work something out, email your tutor. Seriously - over time I have learnt to call them the moment i have a concerning thought and I've just found them so helpful and never dismissive

Good luck with your studies :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by wsws
I've done a few Level 1 Psychology modules and promise you that at Level 1 no additional reading is necessary or expected. I did DE100, E102 and D171. The materials are written in such a way that you'll be eased into the subject without the need for additional (and often expensive) text books. The website articles/videos/audio/quizzes work brilliantly with the text books - I think it's all very well integrated.

My tips would be:
- look at your submission dates, especially as you're doing two modules at once. If there are conflicts speak to both tutors well in advance to see if you can move the dates for one of the modules - they are usually more than happy to help
- don't feel compelled to work at the pace recommended by the module - you might be able to work faster and this can be really helpful towards the end of the year when things get a little bit busier
- if you do work fast, don't submit your work early - there's no bonus and you might miss out on useful info. Often the tutorials/webinars for the assignments come out very close to submission dates. I felt at Level 1 these were really prescriptive and helped clarify exactly what tutors were looking for. Wait until these, review your work, then submit.
- On the Level 1 courses they bang on about reading your tutor feedback a million times. Actually this is something I wish I did more of. Read and read and read it. They usually give such specific advice that'll help you understand how to improve next time - if you apply that to your next submission, the grades will improve
- use any and all of the support services of the OU: if you fall behind, let them know; if you have any sort of disability or learning need, tell them; if you can't work something out, email your tutor. Seriously - over time I have learnt to call them the moment i have a concerning thought and I've just found them so helpful and never dismissive

Good luck with your studies :smile:

Thank so much, such valuable advice I will certainly be taking note of.
I've studied at mainstream uni before, but is been 7 years so I'm a bit rusty.
Reply 6
There's not much extra reading needed. OU is fairly self contained but their library facilities for research are the best bar none. Seriously. I wish they would offer alumni opportunity to subscribe to access. I would pay that and id pay quite a lot for it. It's amazeballs.

I found Richard gross, psychology; the science of mind and behaviour really useful. And a book on research and stars never hurts. But generally, read further into stuff you enjoy really.
Reply 7
Hi there, are you doing a full time course. I am taking on Psychology Councilling and was not sure whether to do just Psychology.
What is your pathway career wise

Quick Reply

Latest