The Student Room Group

Doing MSc at another university

So I am currently about to start my third year of University (Computer Science) and I am struggling to decide whether to complete the four years at my current University or to change my course to the 3 year bachelor degree and then apply for MSc at a (hopefully) better university. My grades are pretty good but I am really bad at interviews. If I do screw up the interview I am afraid that I won't even be able to get in to the masters course at my current university. Can anyone offer me some advice on this?
Original post by twiknight
So I am currently about to start my third year of University (Computer Science) and I am struggling to decide whether to complete the four years at my current University or to change my course to the 3 year bachelor degree and then apply for MSc at a (hopefully) better university. My grades are pretty good but I am really bad at interviews. If I do screw up the interview I am afraid that I won't even be able to get in to the masters course at my current university. Can anyone offer me some advice on this?

You can't spend your life not applying for things because you are bad at interview - how do you hope to ever get a job? Go to your Uni careers Centre and get some interview practice.

However, look carefully at the finances. if you are SFE funded, your combined MSc (or whatever it is called) will be funded by SFE. if you graduate and then go on to a separate Masters, you'll have to apply for the new PG grant. Your choice on the different terms, amounts and repayment plans - but they could influence your choice.

Will you perform better in new surroundings? Are the course structures very different?
You haven't really said why you're thinking about changing - going to "a (hopefully) better university" seems a pretty wishy-washy reason imo. I doubt it will make any difference to potential employers. As above, make sure you understand the funding differences between 4 year and 3+1 year courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending