The Student Room Group

should i re-apply to cambridge?

applied for cambridge this year for HSPS, got an interview (which went absolute terrible lol) then rejected afterwards, UMS wasn't good enough for auto pooling either. got my alevel results this year managed to get 3 A*'s considering the college i go to is not the best. do you think i have a realistic chance of getting an offer or am i going to waste a year of my life?
Original post by gsonro
applied for cambridge this year for HSPS, got an interview (which went absolute terrible lol) then rejected afterwards, UMS wasn't good enough for auto pooling either. got my alevel results this year managed to get 3 A*'s considering the college i go to is not the best. do you think i have a realistic chance of getting an offer or am i going to waste a year of my life?

I think with 3 A*'s (in appropriate subjects) you have a decent chance of an offer (assuming you think you can do better at interview). But you'd need plans for what to do in your gap year, and what you'd do if you were rejected from Cambridge.
Original post by gsonro

Yes you have a realistic chance. The trick is to make sure that what you do in the year out isn't a waste, regardless of the outcome with Cambridge.
Original post by gsonro

Got a feedback from the college you applied? What did it say, if you did.
Do you think you have improved/can improve the weakness they mentioned in the feedback, other than the grades?

It's difficult to say as many successful applicants achieved 3A*, so it does not guarantee a successful application at all. It just makes its worth trying.

If you're ok with the idea of giving up a place at the uni you firmed (supposing you have one) and risking a possibility of not being successful again, try by all means.
You can (and should) use the gap year effectively to improve your application.
Reply 4
Original post by gsonro

As per the advice above, and just to add that 3A*s would at least guarantee auto-pooling this time :smile:
Original post by gsonro

If you think you'll be happy there then why not? One year won't make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things. get a job this year and some extra work experience if you want. You might as well apply again otherwise you'll always wonder what if?
Reply 6
Be aware that there is a very real chance that you may not be successful, and consider how you would feel if you weren't, after altering your whole life course for at least a year.

My best friend was in a very similar position to you, except she didn't apply to Cambridge first time around: she achieved 3A*s at A-Level, which was a massive shock for her (she was predicted ABB), and then chose to take a gap year to re-apply to Cambridge for HSPS. She got an interview was rejected - despite auto-pooling - and this is considering she achieved her very strong grades despite having a physical disability, meaning she only had 40% attendance in sixth form, and was from a low income and first-generation migrant, ethnic minority household. Her feedback said that they commended her enthusiasm, but her interview performance was not up to standard.

Although your grades make you a serious contender for a place at Cambridge, know that it won't guarantee anything, especially if there is a risk of poor interview performance again. You do have the advantage of somewhat knowing what to expect, but as long as you know for sure where you went wrong last time and exactly how to change it, it could be risky. It's difficult to stay at home for an entire year when the majority of your friends will be leaving town and heading to pastures new, especially if it is not rewarded in the way you'd hoped - my friend deeply regrets it, as she struggled with loneliness for most of the year - this is especially true if you do not have the means or money to travel on a gap year.

Consider it long and hard, if you still have time. Keep in mind that they still look at your Year 12 UMS (they did for my friend) and make judgements based on that in the process, too - that comprised part of her basis for rejection. But it could pay off for you - so if you think it's worth the risk, go for it! Cambridge is great, but in many ways it's not the university experience I, and many of my friends there, dreamed of - it comes with sacrifices, so consider even if it's what you really want (although to be fair it's often difficult to judge what it's like until you're already there!). I'm a current student, so if you have any questions or anything feel free to DM me.

Good luck with whatever decision you make - what's meant to be is meant to be as everyone seems so fond of saying in these situations! ha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending