The Student Room Group

Article: What you really need to know about BTEC

Not sure what BTECs have to offer you? Wondering how they compare with A-levels?

We've put the community's questions toward Julie Newlan, pro vice-chancellor of enterprise at the University of Hertfordshire, to uncover the truth about A-levels.

Read all about it... >>
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
I am currently 18years old and have just completed my 90-credit Btec diploma which allows me to progress onto the second year to achieve the full extended diploma. However, after thorough research I am beginning to regret choosing this path because majority of the universities accept Alevels for their Undergraduate degrees & I am at a disadvantage with that. Having said that, I was deciding to enrol to a local sixthform for September where I can do 3 Alevels and come out with the best grades I need to progress onto a degree programme. But, that would mean that by the time I finish my Alevels I will be 20 and the diploma that I have already started will be left half-way. Can you please give me some advice on what I should do as I am really worried and depressed thinking about what I should do.
Original post by Tia_x
I am currently 18years old and have just completed my 90-credit Btec diploma which allows me to progress onto the second year to achieve the full extended diploma. However, after thorough research I am beginning to regret choosing this path because majority of the universities accept Alevels for their Undergraduate degrees & I am at a disadvantage with that. Having said that, I was deciding to enrol to a local sixthform for September where I can do 3 Alevels and come out with the best grades I need to progress onto a degree programme. But, that would mean that by the time I finish my Alevels I will be 20 and the diploma that I have already started will be left half-way. Can you please give me some advice on what I should do as I am really worried and depressed thinking about what I should do.

It really depends what university course you want to study and where you want to study it. Are you focused on one specific uni, or are you flexible about where you would go? Many universities will accept BTECs for entry onto their courses.
Hi Not too sure what your issue is. 96% of unis accept BTEC, and you don't need A levels as well.
Reply 4
Original post by shooks
It really depends what university course you want to study and where you want to study it. Are you focused on one specific uni, or are you flexible about where you would go? Many universities will accept BTECs for entry onto their courses.

Hi
I have contacted several universities and they are happy to accept a Btec extended diploma considering I meet the grades required
Having said that, I will be progressing onto the 2nd year at college and therefore I am ruling out A Levels
Thanks for replying anyways Xx
Original post by Tia_x
Hi
I have contacted several universities and they are happy to accept a Btec extended diploma considering I meet the grades required
Having said that, I will be progressing onto the 2nd year at college and therefore I am ruling out A Levels
Thanks for replying anyways Xx

Sounds like you're all set. :smile: All the best for your second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending