The Student Room Group

Why is it ok to ban nudism but not the burkini?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Applepiex3
...With me ? :biggrin:

Its okay, I laugh with me too :biggrin:

It appears that you do. That is a beneficial attitude to possess, so well done :smile:
Reply 81
As expected, the French supreme court has lifted the burkini bans. :frown:
Ban the burkini! Bring back freddo frog!

Lots of love
Rick xxx
Original post by Josb
I have a source:

An official poll (IFOP/Figaro), has just been released. 64% of the French are against the burkini on the beach, 30% are indifferent, 6% agree with it (margin of error of 3%).

It's interesting to see that the burkini is rejected by people from every political background:
Far left: 62% against, 33% indifferent, 5% agree
Left: 52% against, 41% indifferent, 7% agree
Right: 76% against, 21% indifferent, 3% agree
Far right: 86% against, 10% indifferent, 4% agree

http://www.ifop.com/media/poll/3460-1-study_file.pdf

Didn't ask whether or not people agree with the burkini

I asked how its known that many people *HATE* it

read my posts please.
Society is more afraid of sex than abuse.
Original post by alevelstresss
Banning symbols doesn't stop terrorism, it encourages it.

Poland banned Nazi swastikas and communist symbols

it seems to work just fine

Again after the UK banned "political uniforms" Oswald Mosley and his fascists eventually ceased to exist.

We live in a country where it is illegal to dress your wife in a Political uniform but you can shove her in a Burka head to toe as per ISIS requirements it's perfectly acceptable, Islam and similar cults seem to get a free pass on the law.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 1010marina
Society is more afraid of sex than abuse.

You don't think there's a chance people walking around naked may more likely be abused than those fully clothed?
Original post by Grand High Witch
Nudism is banned because:

- It represents a symbol people find distasteful and offensive (the Victorian idea that the naked human body is lustful, vulgar and immodest).

The burkini is banned because:

- It represents a symbol people find distasteful and offensive (misogyny, patriarchy, women being treated differently, religious conservatism).

I don't think you can objectively prove any of those reasons to be true. To make your point, you should have just stopped at "Nudism is banned" and "The burkini is banned".

Even if those reasons were true, you can't objectively prove which one is more offensive than the other.
Reply 88
Didn't ask whether or not people agree with the burkini

I asked how its known that many people *HATE* it

read my posts please.

Haha, I knew that you would say something like that. You would have pointed out a missing comma.

You can however bet that considering that 62% are against it, at least several millions really hate it.
Original post by Josb
Haha, I knew that you would say something like that. You would have pointed out a missing comma.

You can however bet that considering that 62% are against it, at least several millions really hate it.

63% of Saudis think that the Niqaab is the best dress code for women, that doesn't suddenly make it acceptable that the country forces women to cover their bodies.
The ban has been revoked, thank god the french high court are there to save these stupid mayors from themselves
Original post by Josb

I never comment about grammatical mistakes, but feel free to imagine what you like if it reinforces your theory about how your argument apparently proves that millions hate the burkini. You can want something banned without hating it. The world isn't a simplistic, one-dimensional thing, you know?
As not upsetting Muslims seems to be the most important thing right now and must become before everything else, for some reason.
Original post by MeYou2Night
As not upsetting Muslims seems to be the most important thing right now and must become before everything else, for some reason.

Whose rights are being affected by a woman wearing a burkini? Those who want to point, laugh, and shout "Go Home!" as the police humiliate her? Last time I checked, that wasn't a fundamental right.
Because modesty, morals and self dignity is beyond your understanding

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WBZ144
Whose rights are being affected by a woman wearing a burkini? Those who want to point, laugh, and shout "Go Home!" as the police humiliate her? Last time I checked, that wasn't a fundamental right.

I never said anyone's rights were being affected did I? Shouting "go home" isn't acceptable behaviour either. I just know a lot of French people and their view on the matter, with all religious garments.

I'd like to know whats not modest about wearing a bikini? My finance (she's 22) does all the time by the seaside and goes to the shops sometimes in one (a lot of girls do where she is from, Bournemouth). Nobody's rights are being infringed there so I'd like to know where all these campaigners for the Burkini are, when it comes to Saudi Arabia vs the bikini? If they truly support the freedom of choice l, they'd camp outside the Saudi embassy as well!

And before you stereotype, my fiancée is a solicitor.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 96
I've not got anything actually against nudism but I don't want to see a person's schlong/beef curtains. People can dress/undress however they like, I just don't personally want to see people's private parts. But that's my opinion, I wouldn't say it should be banned though, it's their choice.

To be honest, I don't think it's right to ban either, people should be able to do what they please, if they want to walk around naked, they can. If they want to wear a burkini, then that too is fine. Both should be allowed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 97
Original post by WBZ144
63% of Saudis think that the Niqaab is the best dress code for women, that doesn't suddenly make it acceptable that the country forces women to cover their bodies.

I don't think that Saudi have been able to express their opinions through a vote. Saudi government and mayors are not elected; there is no intellectual (and free) debate in the media about the issue. You cannot compare.
Reply 98
I never comment about grammatical mistakes, but feel free to imagine what you like if it reinforces your theory about how your argument apparently proves that millions hate the burkini. You can want something banned without hating it. The world isn't a simplistic, one-dimensional thing, you know?
I just can't believe how much crap you say.
Original post by Josb
I just can't believe how much crap you say.

If you want to prove that hating something and wanting it banned are mutually exclusive, go ahead and try. It might be amusing.

For example, I hate far-right sympathisers in the UK who blame their problems on immigrants and Muslims, while ignoring their own damaging government. But I don't want them banned from the UK because that would be hypocritical and a violation of democracy, and illegal.

Similarly, I doubt the people who banned dangerous drugs like cocaine 'hated' the drug, they were just concerned about the social and health impacts of it.

Do you see yet?
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply