The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well, you can't get much better than that so I'd say you should. You'll probably also need amazing personal statement and work experience though

Posted from TSR Mobile
"How good are these A-Level grades?"

*proceeds to post the best possible combination*

:facepalm:
Reply 3
Most people applying for medicine would have similar grades to that (A's at least, mostly likely 1 or 2 A*s). To get into a medical school, you must also have work experience, a high UKCAT score and a passion for medicine. If you've got all that, you should easily get a spot with 3A*s :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by HarrisonGCSE
Most people applying for medicine would have similar grades to that (A's at least, mostly likely 1 or 2 A*s). To get into a medical school, you must also have work experience, a high UKCAT score and a passion for medicine. If you've got all that, you should easily get a spot with 3A*s :smile:

I see, Cambridge would be a long shot though?
Reply 5
Original post by RDKGames
"How good are these A-Level grades?"

*proceeds to post the best possible combination*

:facepalm:

Mate, I'm asking on behalf of someone else, who is somewhat reluctant to apply to the aforementioned uni's. :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by zigocarn

Nah mate Cambridge needs at least 7 A*s to even look at the application.
Reply 7
Original post by Accountingggo
Well, you can't get much better than that so I'd say you should. You'll probably also need amazing personal statement and work experience though

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha there's people out there with 5/6A*s at A2.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8

Woops, i meant BMAT not UKCAT :P Cambridge is fine as well, as long as your have to aforementioned. What was your BMAT score, and how much work exp have you done?
Reply 9
A*A*A* grades in the sciences and is it worth applying to the likes of UCL and Imperial for Medicine?

Thanks!

As a first year at Imperial I'd say absolutely not. You'd have needed at least 12 A*s at GCSE, 7 As at AS (preferably with at least 5 at full UMS) and 5 A*s at A Level. Not to mention firsthand experience in a Brazilian hospital combatting the Zika virus and preferably a month in the African wilderness looking for new plants with healing properties.
Reply 10
Woops, i meant BMAT not UKCAT :P Cambridge is fine as well, as long as your have to aforementioned. What was your BMAT score, and how much work exp have you done?

No idea on the details, asking on behalf of someone else.
haha these people out there with 5/6A*s at A2.

So? If the entry requirements for a course were A*A*A and then you took 10 A-levels and got A*AAAAAAAAA, they can only take your best 3 so really it's useless being able to say you got 10 A/A*

The majority of people take 3 A-levels, the odd few have more
Reply 12
Does anyone know what the policy is towards state school kids btw? Just asking, cause we are essentially capped at 4 A levels, with most taking 3. Compared to some other institutions where you can take 5-6, would that not disadvantage us or would they consider this in the application process?
Reply 13
No idea on the details, asking on behalf of someone else.

Ohhhhhhhh, are these GCSE grades? Thought they were a levels :u:
Reply 14
Ohhhhhhhh, are these GCSE grades? Thought they were a levels :u:

A2 grades, no idea on the GCSE grades etc. Also, I believe one would have to retake BMAT/UKCAT again prior to the submission of the applicaiton.
(edited 7 years ago)
A*A*A* grades in the sciences and is it worth applying to the likes of UCL and Imperial for Medicine?

Thanks!

The uni itself doesn't really matter if you're doing Medicine unless a particular uni has a way of teaching that you enjoy or you want to go to a specific uni
Reply 16
A2 grades, no idea on the GCSE grades etc.

As a general guide for a competitive application to the top tier medical schools, bearing in mind their is room for variation:
A Levels: A-A* Biology, A-A* Chemistry, A-A* Anything, but for unis such as Oxbridge they require Maths. Looking at a minimum of A*AA overall.
As Levels: 4As is preferable, but AAAB should just be enough.
GCSEs: 8+A* should be competitive. Subjects such as Maths, English and Science given priority in counting.
BMAT: High score, coming in the top 30-20% of applicants who sat the test.
Work Experience: 5-6 weeks of work experience, as long as all is relevant. They also like to see a long term position.
Extra curricular activities: This stuff makes up about 4 lines of the Personal Statement, so just have enough to fill them - aka, seem fairly interesting :wink:
Personal Statement: Just a well written document, plenty of guides out there.

This should be enough to get you an interview!
How good are these grades? Hahahahaha what
Reply 18

Thanks!

Is this a serious post?
did u seriously need to ask how good they are?

Latest