The Student Room Group

I cannot get anything right !

Im going crazy please help me!!!!! I promise to god that i have attempted every way possible to answer thew stupid vr section of the stupid ukcat !!!!!!!!! I barely get two right !!!!!!
Please help me anyone !!!!!
I think i cant do it at all, i dont even know where to look!???? I tried without timer and with timer, same results!!!!??

Please help me !!!!!! Im going to cry from the frustration right now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 1
nothing anyone can do to help you sorry, all we can do is give advice. You just have to read the question and the text more carefully, start out using as much time as you need until you get the hang of it. Then after that slowly improve your speed and learn to skim the text.
If you're getting the same results timed and untimed, take longer to read through everything clearly so you understand why you're getting the wrong answers, its not impossible, its just a matter of understanding what they are asking and finding the information
Reply 2
I read lots of broadsheet newspaper articles which I think helped a lot. Practice reading them quickly then try to recall what the main idea/point/argument of the article was.
Reply 3
Hey, I am sorry that you are feeling like this now, but try not to panic like this!

I was feeling the exact same way when I was practising for the VR sections two years ago, I cried many times because I couldn't believe how stupid I was :frown: (especially after seeing the amazing results by others on the TSR)

I was a very slow reader and as English is not my first language, I really really struggled with the VR section of the UKCAT!

What I did was to buy some UKCAT practice books and learn the tips they teach. It is all about scanning the question and passage quickly, finding the sentences that contain the keyword and eliminating the answers that are obviously wrong. I also used medify to practise for two months. I identified the types of questions that I often did wrong and practised a lot of them. If you still have some time before your test day, try and read some news articles everyday. Try and read it very quickly so that you can improve your reading speed and perhaps note down some vocabs that you are not sure of and learn it! By doing this for some time, you will notice that you are able to find keywords a lot faster and answer some of the questions really quickly!

I know it is easier said than done, but I have been in the same situation as you and hard work really pays off! I didn't do amazingly in the VR section on the test but I still managed to get offers from medical schools... So please don't give up, you have to be patient with yourself, it takes time to improve but eventually you will see a difference!! Good Luck! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mwu13
Hey, I am sorry that you are feeling like this now, but try not to panic like this!

I was feeling the exact same way when I was practising for the VR sections two years ago, I cried many times because I couldn't believe how stupid I was :frown: (especially after seeing the amazing results by others on the TSR)

I was a very slow reader and as English is not my first language, I really really struggled with the VR section of the UKCAT!

What I did was to buy some UKCAT practice books and learn the tips they teach. It is all about scanning the question and passage quickly, finding the sentences that contain the keyword and eliminating the answers that are obviously wrong. I also used medify to practise for two months. I identified the types of questions that I often did wrong and practised a lot of them. If you still have some time before your test day, try and read some news articles everyday. Try and read it very quickly so that you can improve your reading speed and perhaps note down some vocabs that you are not sure of and learn it! By doing this for some time, you will notice that you are able to find keywords a lot faster and answer some of the questions really quickly!

I know it is easier said than done, but I have been in the same situation as you and hard work really pays off! I didn't do amazingly in the VR section on the test but I still managed to get offers from medical schools... So please don't give up, you have to be patient with yourself, it takes time to improve but eventually you will see a difference!! Good Luck! :smile:

Thank you for your kind words, it' just so frustrating when you see 700/800 scores here, and all you can get it like 630 :frown: ,

i will defo follow the advice you gave, thanks once again :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending