The Student Room Group

GCSE maths grade too low for sixth form

Well, I've just gotten my results today. The 3 subjects I wanted to do were Chemistry, Physics and Maths. When I got my results I received two A grades in Physics and Chemistry which required a minimum of a B grade. I wanted to take maths along with them subjects for extra support. I got a C in maths, which also required a grade B or above to be accepted. I was wondering if taking Physics and Chemistry without maths is hard. I know if I don't do maths I will have slim to nothing chances of getting into University after sixth form. If there is also anything that I can do to get into maths in September. My mother and I are going back into my school (also sixth form) to see if there is anything I can do about this. I just want a heads up about what my choices are and if they are hard with out maths. Thanks :-)
any help? I know I won't get into A level maths I just want to know if Physics and Chemistry is hard without maths
Original post by connorjones91
any help? I know I won't get into A level maths I just want to know if Physics and Chemistry is hard without maths

Hi I don't take chemistry but there is quite a lot of mathematical content in A level physics I think physics would be relatively difficult with a C in GCSE maths
Reply 3
Original post by connorjones91
Well, I've just gotten my results today. I was wondering if taking Physics and Chemistry without maths is hard. I know if I don't do maths I will have slim to nothing chances of getting into University after sixth form. If there is also anything that I can do to get into maths in September.

What do you want to study at uni? Physics does require a good understanding of maths, yes, and it would certainly help you.

I'm not sure what to advise you here! I think you have to ask yourself honestly why did you get a C in maths? If you can't get in to doing maths at sixth form, that's not the end of the world, as you could enter it as an external candidate (i.e. learn it yourself). But that's a big ask if you're starting from a C.

I need more info really - where you expecting a C? And what do you want to study at uni? ;-)

Quick Reply

Latest