The Student Room Group

There is no such thing as a "useless degree" ?

There is no such thing as a "useless degree".

Life is what YOU make of it.

You can do any degree and still be successful because the world is your oyster.

Just my two cents.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by German123
There is no such thing as a "useless degree".

Life is what YOU make of it.

You can do any degree and still be successful because the world is your oyster.

Just my two cents.

But you can also be successful without a degree? If the degree was irrelevant and caused a lot of debt then not worth it imo.
Waiting for the STEM overlords to show up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No degree is useless, but everyone has some degrees that would be useless to them, and some degrees are useful for only a very precise sector of the job market. For example, someone doing a Golf Management degree (yes, they exist) could get a very good, well paying job at a prestigious golf course, but there are very few of those available. For most other jobs, it would be useless.
Music*

Learning*

Posted from TSR Mobile
A music degree is not entirely about the history of music. Music students learn and harden important skills such as composition and music theory, which are vital for some of the more prestigious jobs in music. You can't just pick an element that would be useless for most and use it to say the whole degree is useless.
Knowledge is power but some degrees can be a waste of time.
Degree just helps you to get yourself into the industry however in some cases i think apprenticeships would be a lot better
Reply 8
lets be real, some uni's offer degrees just to squeeze as much money as they can from naive students. I saw a 3 year degree in jewelry making for goodness sake.
Original post by Yammy
But you can also be successful without a degree? If the degree was irrelevant and caused a lot of debt then not worth it imo.

exactly i mean i want to do a £18,000 8 month degree some would say it useless but i can double the price on everything just because i have the degree si it will pay off in about 6 months anyway

Original post by Tai Ga
lets be real, some uni's offer degrees just to squeeze as much money as they can from naive students. I saw a 3 year degree in jewelry making for goodness sake.

3 years!!!
the longest one I've seen is about 6 months overall
Reply 10
This sounds like a solid degree
Reply 11
Original post by Yammy

Yes of course but seeing as most people focus on STEM, i just thought i would point out that in society today, no degree is worthless.

Some people are deluded into thinking otherwise and that's why they don't follow their passions and are miserable afterwards .
I think you need to do an English degree
There are graduate schemes that pretty much anyone with a 2:1 of higher can get onto.

There are generic office jobs that only ask for a degree but do not specify the subject.

Neither of those are for me, as I find them to be unfulfilling but it goes to show that any degree can get you to a place that you may not have reached without it. I just don't understand why someone would study Geology (for an example), only to go on to be an administrator.
Original post by German123
Yes of course but seeing as most people focus on STEM, i just thought i would point out that in society today, no degree is worthless.

Some people are deluded into thinking otherwise and that's why they don't follow their passions and are miserable afterwards .

People can follow their passions but don't have to go to uni. Rather than doing a degree with poor career prospects, it makes more sense to learn or train for a decent job and keep your passion for your spare time
Original post by WBZ144
There are graduate schemes that pretty much anyone with a 2:1 of higher can get onto.

There are generic office jobs that only ask for a degree but do not specify the subject.

Neither of those are for me, as I find them to be unfulfilling but it goes to show that any degree can get you to a place that you may not have reached without it. I just don't understand why someone would study Geology (for an example), only to go on to be an administrator.

Maybe because they didn't have a set career path in mind and just wanted to do three years of a subject they loved?
Reply 16
Great
Reply 17
Original post by Kieranisda1
People can follow their passions but don't have to go to uni. Rather than doing a degree with poor career prospects, it makes more sense to learn or train for a decent job and keep your passion for your spare time

When i said passion, i meant studying something you love rather doing something you hate because it offers better job prospects.

And of course, people can follow their passions without going to uni. but for those who want to go, they should do what they like and not worry about job prospects after all, life is what you make of it.
Why does nobody make threads about all the useless people that have nothing to do except worry about other people's degrees.
wrong
womens studies

Quick Reply