Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hi so I'm going into year 10 and I feel a little bit nervous about starting GCSEs any advice and how hard is it

Some people find it difficult, but it will definitely be easier if you work hard from the beginning. Keep on top of your homework, ask your teachers for help with any concepts you don't understand, and start doing little bits of revision far in advance of exams would be some tips

i agree with Little Tail Chaser, you have got to work hard all year round. year 10 is a little more laid back than year 11, however if you did want to start making a bit of revision at the year 10 stage it would be helpful as there's less to worry about in the next year when all the pressure builds up - my cold war history exam which i had made revision for in year 10 i got 100% on, i found out today!

year 10 and 11 definitely blur together. one minute you think you have a whole two years before the exams and the next you're on a 6 month countdown! i know it may seem horrible about halfway through, going into year 11 where you're getting tired and fed up, but by the end of the two years its so worth it. anything you may not understand make sure to get help with from a teacher, friend or the internet (e.g. student room, people make discussions offering very good resources which are helpful!) because if you leave it till the end of year 11 it will just be stressful and not good, and nobody can afford to abandon parts of a subject because they didnt ask for help early on.

just remember, if you give it your all then you will definitely be happy when you open that envelope on results day in two years - all your hard work will have paid off and its such a good feeling! today was my results day and i cant even explain the elation i got when i saw that the hours of revision did come with reward. i wish you the best of luck in the next few important years!

I am going into year 11 so i know the feelings of starting year 10. Some parts will be challenge but dont sit at the back the class not asking for help if you dont understand ask for help dont worry if you feel like people will laugh at you cause at the end of the day you will be the one with more information. Starting your GCSE year will be a big shock but trust me you soon settle in and feel like nothing massively has changed (thats not an excuse to mess about tho)
    Goodluck if you need anymore information about starting your GCSE year drop me a message.

Yeah thanks s it definetly calms me down I was planning to download the exam specification and learning a little bit everyday I have taken triple science history re maths English German and advice on those GCSE and how should I start revising at the start of year 10

Downloading exam specifications will help alot. I revised every time i had an exam so everytime your teacher says anything about having an exam soon revise straight away. What helped me was revising key words the having a 10 minute break and then come back to it and try to remember the meanings of the keywords and everytime i got one wrong i would focus on that word. Hope that works for you
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.