The Student Room Group

Do girls do Further Maths ?

I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!

Scroll to see replies

It's interesting, at my uni the split for maths is maybe 60:40 M:F so they must exist somewhere doing Further Maths :lol: but in general STEM (with the exception of a few subjects) are male-dominated like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I go to a girls' school and it is oversubscribed
Reply 3
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
I'm curious about this. When I started AS Further Maths last september there were 8 students in the class. All but 2 of the students were boys. This september 5 students will be continuing A Level Further Maths of which none are girls. Peeps I genuinely have this question in mind : Do (enough) girls do Further Maths? Haven't seen any on TSR!

Was pretty even at my college

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do
I do
Original post by Boss_Rhythm
I am

Spoiler

a girl and I do

Spoiler

do Further Maths
Witty
Original post by Andy98
Was pretty even at my college

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I don't understand what you mean. Could you make it clearer?

* I read the sentence correctly now so I understand the context. At first I read it like this : "Was pretty, even at my college"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SeanFM
It's interesting, at my uni the split for maths is maybe 60:40 M:F so they must exist somewhere doing Further Maths :lol: but in general STEM (with the exception of a few subjects) are male-dominated like that.
I reckon Physics at A level or University is male-dominated. Is it true Biology female-dominated?

* Directed at everyone
Original post by surina16
I go to a girls' school and it is oversubscribed

Oh my gosh. Forgot about that aspect/scenario
Original post by Dynamic_Vicz
Witty

Pity
In my FM class of about 15, there were 3 girls, but in maths it was an even split.
At my school a few years ago, the only person doing further maths was a girl. All the boys dropped out before year 13.
Original post by ConicalFlask
At my school a few years ago, the only person doing further maths was a girl. All the boys dropped out before year 13.

Wow! I think it's rare to see a situation like that.
At my (mixed) school there are no girls in my physics class of 18ish and only 2 out of 15 in the further maths class.

lol
Everyone who did Further Maths at my school was a boy.

Not that surprising at a boy's school.
Original post by richpanda
At my (mixed) school there are no girls in my physics class of 18ish and only 2 out of 15 in the further maths class.

lol
See I knew there aren't enough girls doing it. :redface:
(edited 7 years ago)
I went to an all girls school and there were 2 further maths A2 classes
Original post by Speckle
Everyone who did Further Maths at my school was a boy.

Not that surprising at a boy's school.

What! I thought they'd be at least 10 girls doing it :P
Reply 19
Stats have been given already. In the year above me, only one person, a girl, did Further Maths. In my year, I was the only one to do Further Maths fully, while a girl did Further Maths AS. So in my experience, girls do Further Maths lel.

There wasn't a single girl in my regular Maths class (neither of us doing Further Maths attended as a rule, I went to a few lessons on S2). The girl doing Further Maths was the only girl in my Physics class. So in general my school had pretty stark splits. Well, there were far more girls at AS in both subjects but they all dropped it.

Original post by SeanFM

Wow that seems like a lot of women
Warwick Maths is 22% female..

Quick Reply

Latest