There is a 1/4 chance of

mf

fm

ff

mm

each.

We can rule out the mm

Which leaves us with a 1/3 chance of ff

Clever problem. The point against the conditional probability argument is that we don't know which baby penguin is female, so we don't have as much info fixed as we might think.

told you that u could do it :smile:
gtg lunch but I might tune in for the next problem if it involves less biology or shet like that
Reply 24
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Ok... So if we remove one combination f....f we get:

A......B
f.......m
f.......f
m......f

So there's a 1/3 chance that there are 2 females if we know that one of the penguins is definitely female.

Yes, 1/3

You got there just before @Matrix123 but I'll give you joint credit
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
told you that u could do it :smile:
gtg lunch but I might tune in for the next problem if it involves less biology or shet like that

:hugs:
OK :smile:

Spoiler

Original post by Kyx
Yes, 1/3

Ohh right, missed that :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kyx
Yes, 1/3

Yeah, but I took several attempts and presented some incorrect solutions, while @Matrix123 got it first try. But whatever, it doesn't really matter as it's all just a bit of fun!
Yay puzzles :biggrin:.
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Yeah, but I took several attempts and presented some incorrect solutions, while @Matrix123 got it first try. But whatever, it doesn't really matter as it's all just a bit of fun!

Ahhh, as you said - all just a bit of fun :smile:
:five:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Matrix123
:hugs:
OK :smile:

Spoiler

Ohh right, missed that :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

:excited: woo lets go
Original post by XOR_
Yay puzzles :biggrin:.

Did the tag work then?
(Im waiting for my burger for lunch he he he )

Did the tag work then?

Kinda, I received it an hour late.

Did the tag work then?

Yup - gotta wait for more challenges though...
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XOR_
Kinda, I received it an hour late.

Urgh tsrrrrr!!!!
Well at least u made it eventually, :biggrin:

Original post by Matrix123
Yup - gotta wait for more challenges though...
Posted from TSR Mobile

:colonhash: how dull
Bürger was good
Stay tuned for a blog image :wink:
Urgh tsrrrrr!!!!
Well at least u made it eventually, :biggrin:

:colonhash: how dull
Bürger was good
Stay tuned for a blog image :wink:

Yeah...:erm: but it's a great thread so :tongue:
Glad to hear it! :biggrin:
Ooh :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 34
Room 3 - The Padlock Problem

Kyx wants to send £50 to Flyx. He puts the money in the box, and goes to the Post Office to send it. There is one problem. If the box does not have a padlock on it (or if the padlock is not locked), the money will be stolen. Both Kyx and Flyx have a padlock and the corresponding key, but they do not have the corresponding key to the other penguin's padlock. How can Kyx send the box with the money to Flyx without the money being stolen?
Reply 35
Original post by Kyx

Kyx wants to send £50 to Flyx. He puts the money in the box, and goes to the Post Office to send it. There is one problem. If the box does not have a padlock on it (or if the padlock is not locked), the money will be stolen. Both Kyx and Flyx have a padlock and the corresponding key, but they do not have the corresponding key to the other penguin's padlock. How can Kyx send the box with the money to Flyx without the money being stolen?

Can we assume that potential thieves know how to turn a key and therefore leaving the padlock locked with the key in is not an option? :tongue:
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Can we assume that potential thieves know how to turn a key and therefore leaving the padlock locked with the key in is not an option? :tongue:

loooooooool
Reply 37
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42

Yes :toofunny:
Original post by Kyx

How about:

Kyx sends the box with money over to Flyx, locked with his padlock.
Flyx locks the box with their own padlock (keeping the key) and sends it back over.
Kyx unlocks his padlock and sends the box back to Flyx.
Flyx unlocks his padlock, opens the box and gets the money.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kyx

-send the key in a separate envelope with an ultra secure seal thing
-send the money via internet instead
-take the money and run :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest