The Student Room Group

Gender acceptance at uni?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by newsunflower
It's not about judging, it's more about the fact that there are only two genders: male and female.

http://www.medicaldaily.com/challenging-gender-identity-biologists-say-gender-expands-across-spectrum-rather-323956

stop being ignorant when all it takes to be proven wrong is typing 4 words into Google

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Nope and I don't see how international students would make any difference

because gender pronouns is a western thing

Even so, I don't see what is wrong with me using he/she pronouns if I know their gender and "they" when it is not known e.g. "the painter" and "the journalist".
Even so, I don't see what is wrong with me using he/she pronouns if I know their gender and "they" when it is not known e.g. "the painter" and "the journalist".

of course there's nothing wrong with slipping up or not knowing and using the wrong pronouns, but trust me

*being trans is harder than knowing a trans person*

so just try to respect it, it helps deal with dysphoria (again, if you want to know more just look it up - you can find out on the NHS' website) and makes trans people not feel so erased from society, something which as been a problem for marginalised groups for ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by snikerio
of course there's nothing wrong with slipping up or not knowing and using the wrong pronouns, but trust me

*being trans is harder than knowing a trans person*

so just try to respect it, it helps deal with dysphoria (again, if you want to know more just look it up - you can find out on the NHS' website) and makes trans people not feel so erased from society, something which as been a problem for marginalised groups for ages.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just don't get how people using normal pronouns makes them feel "erased".

I treat people equally. I use the pronouns "he" and "she" for everyone. I'm not going to discriminate against people and use a special pronoun for them.

thank you for being more open minded than a lot of people though, it will aid you if you try to listen to facts and people with experience before forming opinions based on misinformation

Posted from TSR Mobile

While the actual article is trash (mosiac chimerism and intersex children are incredibly rare) the comments section is actually pretty enlightening. I'll be damned if there's actually some medical evidence for "gender queer" ism after all
Original post by Another
While the actual article is trash (mosiac chimerism and intersex children are incredibly rare) the comments section is actually pretty enlightening. I'll be damned if there's actually some medical evidence for "gender queer" ism after all

There isn't. There's no objective criteria for it. I'm willing to be proved wrong, though.
There isn't. There's no objective criteria for it. I'm willing to be proved wrong, though.

Bear in mind: I find the link nothing more than Horse ****. But from the comments section;

...If you have a look at my FB page, you'll see I've been trying for some time to make people aware about exposure to synthetic female hormones (estrogens and progestins, drugs that are often used in high risk pregnancies to reduce the likelihood of a miscarriage or premature birth), as a cause of intersex-related abnormalities and transsexuality in the exposed male offspring.

Estrogens and progestins are both highly effective at suppressing testosterone production in adult men, and they appear to be able to cross the placenta and have similar effects on a male fetus, with disastrous consequences. For as long as testosterone production continues to be suppressed, the fetus develops as female instead of male. Because genital development has already finished by the end of the first trimester whereas these hormone treatments are usually only used after the pregnancy is well established, the hormone exposure tends to mostly happen too late to have much effect on the genitals, and it's the brain that bears the brunt of the effects instead. The result is that you end up with people who are genetically male and look male, but have brains that have, to varying degrees, developed as female instead of male...

(DES is an artificial oestrogen hormone given to pregnant women)

There was a study published about 10 years ago in which 150 out of 500 DES sons in the study group had a female gender identity, and in which found a considerably higher incidence than normal of hypogonadism and intersex-related genital abnormalities. I don't have a link to hand, but the authors were Drs Scott Kerlin and Dana Beyer. There was also a study published recently by an organisation called Hhorages France, which found high rates of serious mental illnesses and suicides among children who were exposed to synthetic hormones (estrogens and progestins) in the womb, along with a high incidence of physical intersex-related abnormalities too. I suspect that probably a lot of the kids in that study were actually trans, except France is one of these places with a very macho culture and so nobody wanted to admit it.

There may not be any papers linking cause to effect, but the science here looks plausible at least
Reply 29
I think you will be able to find a nice little queer bubble to spend most of your time within. You probably will find you don't get your pronouns respected by a lot of people in general but you are less likely to have anyone be explicitly arsey about it than you would in life in general, uni students do tend to be socially liberal enough to be live and let live, even if they don't get it.

I was very visibility queer at uni, including medically transitioning whilst being the one with the spikey blue hair (eg folk knew who I was even if they didn't know me). Obviously I discussed it with friends but not like people I knew to say 'hi' to or had been in tutorials with a few times. I never had any issues. In the world in general, yeah much hassle. But uni was safe and I graduated in 2012, times have moved on even since then
(edited 7 years ago)
I'm totally fine with it as long as you respect my right to identify as an attack helicopter, my pronoun is appache
I just don't get how people using normal pronouns makes them feel "erased".

I treat people equally. I use the pronouns "he" and "she" for everyone. I'm not going to discriminate against people and use a special pronoun for them.

The point we're trying to make is that you wouldn't call a woman "he" would you? So using a neutral pronoun, i.e they, isn't discriminating them from other people.

If someone told you their name was Tom you wouldn't say "Well I'm going to call you Mike because I only use the names Mike and Sally." You'd call them Tom. So why is it different with pronouns?

I hope this helps you understand?
Original post by BKS
I think you will be able to find a nice little queer bubble to spend most of your time within. You probably will find you don't get your pronouns respected by a lot of people in general but you are less likely to have anyone be explicitly arsey about it than you would in life in general, uni students do tend to be socially liberal enough to be live and let live, even if they don't get it.

I was very visibility queer at uni, including medically transitioning whilst being the one with the spikey blue hair (eg folk knew who I was even if they didn't know me). Obviously I discussed it with friends but not like people I knew to say 'hi' to or had been in tutorials with a few times. I never had any issues. In the world in general, yeah much hassle. But uni was safe and I graduated in 2012, times have moved on even since then

That's really good to know, thanks! I'm definitely going to find my fellow queer people and hopefully just surround myself with them!
Hope you're doing well now x
Actually the concept of gender variance or a third gender has been around for a very long time before the West colonised most of the world, for example in India and indigenous North American cultures. It was the West who implemented the concept of a binary gender system.

(Although I do understand the point you're making in terms of acceptance at uni, but I just thought this is still interesting information to take into account)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender
(edited 3 years ago)
It's not about judging, it's more about the fact that there are only two genders: male and female.

there's no reasoning with tumblrinas its just a waste of mental energy
Actually the concept of gender variance or a third gender has been around for a very long time before the West colonised most of the world, for example in India and indigenous North American cultures. It was the West who implemented the concept of a binary gender system.

(Although I do understand the point you're making in terms of acceptance at uni, but I just thought this is still interesting information to take into account)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_gender

it's a cultural thing. there's no scientific reasoning behind it
If anyone has any constructive/supportive things to say then feel free to post them here!! I'm not gonna argue with people who are just here to be hateful lol it's a waste of mental energy.
So you want people to say 'They is not in them room' instead of 'She is not in her room'? I don't understand.

or 'name' isn't in their room ...

the use or not of neutral pronouns only sounds odd becasue modern englis hhasn;t used them
You'd probably wouldn't be discriminated against or attacked, but I and most of the people I know just wouldn't be able to make friends with someone with your condition.
Original post by richpanda
You'd probably wouldn't be discriminated against or attacked, but I and most of the people I know just wouldn't be able to make friends with someone with your condition.

That's good to know, I'm glad the people I definitely would want to avoid wouldn't even approach me :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending