The Student Room Group

Are 3 AS levels enough to do medicine

So I recently got my gcse results and thankfully I have a good enough grade in biology and maths to be able to do them at a level. Unfortunately i got a c in chemistry because of 1 bad exam and now my college is giving me an option to either do 4 as levels without chemistry or 3 including chemistry. I really want to go to medicine so my question is if I take biology, chemistry and maths, is that enough to get me to medical school? Also it would help if I could get a source from where your getting your information, thank you!
3 a-levels is fine for most medical schools. However I would be more worried about your C in GCSE Chemistry. A-level is much harder and you need to get an A in order to get into medical school.
Bio Chem and Maths are fine to get into Med school. As long as your grades are good in your AS year I don't see why you couldn't get a place, but maybe 4 is necessary now that you have a GCSE Chem C? If it isn't, I wouldn't recommend taking 4, unless you're very confident you can manage the workload.

Just a warning though, almost everyone finds A level harder than GCSE. Even people who got A* at GCSE often find Chemistry very difficult to get an A or above in. Just be aware that if you struggled with GCSE chemistry, medicine may not be a realistically attainable goal.
Reply 3
Original post by Chronokeeper
Bio Chem and Maths are fine to get into Med school. As long as your grades are good in your AS year I don't see why you couldn't get a place, but maybe 4 is necessary now that you have a GCSE Chem C? If it isn't, I wouldn't recommend taking 4, unless you're very confident you can manage the workload.

Just a warning though, almost everyone finds A level harder than GCSE. Even people who got A* at GCSE often find Chemistry very difficult to get an A or above in. Just be aware that if you struggled with GCSE chemistry, medicine may not be a realistically attainable goal.

Thanks for the advice, but honestly it was just one exam in chemistry gcse that i hadn't revised for that i messed up on.
So are you saying if i've got a c on my chem gcse that med schools wont accept me with 3 a levels?
To do medicine, you HAVE to do chemistry, so take 3.
Original post by drivzombie
So I recently got my gcse results and thankfully I have a good enough grade in biology and maths to be able to do them at a level. Unfortunately i got a c in chemistry because of 1 bad exam and now my college is giving me an option to either do 4 as levels without chemistry or 3 including chemistry. I really want to go to medicine so my question is if I take biology, chemistry and maths, is that enough to get me to medical school? Also it would help if I could get a source from where your getting your information, thank you!

Nearly everywhere is fine with 3. I'm not sure why you're asking this on TSR when a quick glance at an entry requirements page would give you all the answers you need.

Also, a lot of medical schools require at least B grade in science GCSEs, typically including chemistry. Be careful where you apply.
Original post by drivzombie
Thanks for the advice, but honestly it was just one exam in chemistry gcse that i hadn't revised for that i messed up on.
So are you saying if i've got a c on my chem gcse that med schools wont accept me with 3 a levels?

No, I expect that they would, but make sure to ask your tutor, or phone up some Universities directly. Whatever you do, don't 100% trust an answer on TSR.

Some med schools may reject you on the chemistry C alone, but there will be plenty that do not.
Reply 7
I think if you do well in your chemistry a-level that would out weigh your GCSE result you can defiantly get in with those 3as's but they will most likely give you an offer of a*aa and you will probably need AAA at as to be considered for interview

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending