The Student Room Group

Are these good A levels for HSPS at Cambridge?

I'm selecting my A level choices fairly soon and I think I want to do, English lit, History, government and politics and theatre studies. Are these options ok? I would really love to study HSPS at Cambridge, so any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!
Reply 1
I know current HSPS students with the first three. It's a pretty varied course in terms of discipline but also where people have come from - I did Maths, Chemistry, History and EngLit which is an unusual combination but not unheard of amongst current students. If your heart isn't set on sciences then don't worry, but weirdly I find some of the principles and practices from my Chemistry A Level continue to help in HSPS, so keep your horizons broad!
Hi! I am still uncertain with my A level choices. Currently I am considering biomedical sciences and hsps. I am thinking of biology, chemistry, maths and history. However, I do not want to prevent my chances of going to Cambridge for hsps with these subjects. What do you think?

I have thought about english literature, french and economics but I am just not sure, as I do not want to have any disadvantage in any of the courses...
Original post by Nxncydooley
I'm selecting my A level choices fairly soon and I think I want to do, English lit, History, government and politics and theatre studies. Are these options ok? I would really love to study HSPS at Cambridge, so any advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

For HSPS I believe Sociology, Psychology and maybe Geography could also be quite useful:smile:

But I’m no authority on the matter haha
Reply 4
I decided on english lit, history and politics for my A levels, they normally want one essay based subject but not too specific in terms of what that is and/or what your other subjects are.
Original post by Daiana_Ash
Hi! I am still uncertain with my A level choices. Currently I am considering biomedical sciences and hsps. I am thinking of biology, chemistry, maths and history. However, I do not want to prevent my chances of going to Cambridge for hsps with these subjects. What do you think?

I have thought about english literature, french and economics but I am just not sure, as I do not want to have any disadvantage in any of the courses...

The good news is that HSPS has no specific subject requirements, and there are people studying it from science backgrounds, although having an essay subject could be helpful (history is as good a choice as you could make). English Lit would also be good. But for this course, I'd say as long as you're doing difficult a levels which are respected and which you will gain skills from, the actual combination isn't that important.

Here's a freedom of information request I looked at last year which is from 2014/5 so, fairly recent, and there's a section on subjects taken by those who applied for HSPS. Take from it what you will, but I think it should prove useful.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/276668/response/677570/attach/2/FOI%202015%20182%20Adeosun%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
(edited 6 years ago)
I decided on english lit, history and politics for my A levels, they normally want one essay based subject but not too specific in terms of what that is and/or what your other subjects are.

The website says no specific subjects with essay writing subjects as helpful. If I were you I'd choose at least one of English/ History ( though it doesn't necessarily help to have both). Otherwise just choose the subjects you'd enjoy!! I got an offer from Cambridge and Oxford for E Lit with English, RE and Geography and no 4th AS. Do the subjects you'll do best in and enjoy! Even sociology/ psychology would be fine.
Reply 7
Sorry yes you’re absolutely right about no specific essay based subjects, I’ve just been researching other universities who require that. I have been studying those A levels for two terms now and really enjoying them. I also do a Cambridge Pre-U in Global Perspectives Research which is a nice way to branch out your studies in light of the changes to A levels making it a single two year course.
Original post by User3939
The website says no specific subjects with essay writing subjects as helpful. If I were you I'd choose at least one of English/ History ( though it doesn't necessarily help to have both). Otherwise just choose the subjects you'd enjoy!! I got an offer from Cambridge and Oxford for E Lit with English, RE and Geography and no 4th AS. Do the subjects you'll do best in and enjoy! Even sociology/ psychology would be fine.

How did you get an offer from both Cambridge and Oxford? You can only apply to one of them in a same application cycle. And for which course/s?
Sorry yes you’re absolutely right about no specific essay based subjects, I’ve just been researching other universities who require that. I have been studying those A levels for two terms now and really enjoying them. I also do a Cambridge Pre-U in Global Perspectives Research which is a nice way to branch out your studies in light of the changes to A levels making it a single two year course.

They don’t have specific requirements for subjects you apply with, but if you have any field within HSPS that interests you more and you think you’ll probably choose its tripos papers when you get in, try to choose A-levels that’d be a good foundation for it. Never mind which subjects might give you any advantage when applying.
HSPS I’d such a broad-based course, basically a new department that’s combined a few deciplines only some years ago, what’s quite important is you have some idea in what fields in HSPS you’d be interested in.
I don't think theatre studies is particularly respected...what about a language or a science or even religious studies?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/respected-a-levels
Original post by vincrows
How did you get an offer from both Cambridge and Oxford? You can only apply to one of them in a same application cycle. And for which course/s?

Tit Hall Cam English offer 2017 entry. St John's Ox offer 2018, same subject.
Reply 12
Original post by applesforme
I don't think theatre studies is particularly respected...what about a language or a science or even religious studies?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/respected-a-levels

As a 3rd, or 4th, A-level it's fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by User3939
Tit Hall Cam English offer 2017 entry. St John's Ox offer 2018, same subject.

Interesting....
So you fell to the Dark Side after a year in the glorious Light Side?

:tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by vincrows
Interesting....
So you fell to the Dark Side after a year in the glorious Light Side?

:tongue:

Must have missed the light offer and reapplied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Must have missed the light offer and reapplied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Very good deduction!

Always liked the dark side better but teachers said GCSEs were too low!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending