The Student Room Group

Will I be disadvantaged if I do three A-Levels rather than 4?

I did want to pick a fourth, but I would really only be picking it up for the sake of it and the one I wanted to do is only a 2 year course at my chosen college - meaning that I couldn't drop it by the end of the first year as an AS. My sister also said how difficult A-Levels are and doing 4 for the whole two years may get overwhelming. What do you think?
Original post by meandegreen
I did want to pick a fourth, but I would really only be picking it up for the sake of it and the one I wanted to do is only a 2 year course at my chosen college - meaning that I couldn't drop it by the end of the first year as an AS. My sister also said how difficult A-Levels are and doing 4 for the whole two years may get overwhelming. What do you think?

No, I don't think you'd be disadvantaged.. Chances are you wouldn't do well in something you had no interest in studying at A-level, and since there are no options available that you like and can do then not worth it.

I'm not sure if you're not allowed to drop an AS after Year 12 though, despite reforms - I'd check with your school if I were you.
Meh well I'm doing 5 only because I love all my subjects - that is the key thing. Study only subjects that instill real excitement and enthusiasm.
There are sooooo many threads like this. A quick Google search was all you needed.
Reply 4
Take the 4th A level even if you put no time in it whatsoever

I took sociology and I swear i spent 1 day looking at it from complete scratch before exams, ended up getting a C and U in my exams (average to D) and UCL gave me an offer because I had a 4th AS lol.
It really depends. I dropped out of Year 12 in 2014 however returned in 2015 and ended up taking 3 subjects due to personal circumstances. However there was a worry that I wouldn't be able to progress to Year 13 due to my biology exam, luckily I got an E instead of U however if I hadn't received a pass, I wouldn't have been able to continue in Year 13. Although if that does happen you will probably have the option of picking up another A-Level and doing a year extra. Just keep it in mind that a fourth subject is there just in case one of your other subjects doesn't work out the way you wanted them to.

Quick Reply

Latest