The Student Room Group

Tips for starting college :)

Since I am starting college in a few weeks, give me some tips and hints on what to do when starting A Levels.
My tips would be:

Make revision notes as you cover each topic in class. This saves time as your revision notes will already be completed when you come to revise later on. Also get a copy of the specification for each of your subjects to check you've made notes on everything you need to know (sometimes teachers miss out topics when teaching).

Getting your exam technique right is crucial! Using the right technique when answering the exam questions obviously increases your likelihood of gaining as many marks as possible.

Consider using a revision timetable. I structured my revision by day, rather than time. For example: revise topic a, b and c on Monday, revise topic d, e, f and g on Tuesday, and so on. I found this structure much easier to follow and stick to, than if I'd structured it by time, e.g. revise topic a from 11am to 1pm, topic b from 1.30pm to 3pm etc.

Take advantage of any homework help/revision help sessions your college might offer. They can prove invaluable if you're struggling with any aspect of the content, homework etc.

Always ask for help if you need it, so that you don't fall behind.

Also, an organisation idea: take one ring binder with you to college each day, with file dividers separating your subjects, plastic wallets for loose sheets and a few pieces of lined paper to write notes on in class. Keep one lever arch file at home, and transfer the work from the ring binder into it when the ring binder gets full. This saves you lugging lot of folders and notebooks around!

I hope these help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest