The Student Room Group

Are my grades good enough for top universities?

In my GCSE exams I achieved:

Further Maths - A^
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Business Studies - A*
Biology - A
RS(short) - A
Spanish - A
English Language - B
English literature - B
Music - B
Media Studies - B
History - B

Overall that is 1 A^, 4 A*s, 3 As and 5 Bs. I am quite disappointed with the Bs and I may get a few remarks but change is unlikely.

I want to apply to do natural science at Cambridge and physics at Imperial, UCL, Kings and Queen Mary. I am going to study maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for A levels.

If I can get 3 or 4 As at AS despite my GCSE grades am I likely to get an offer from one of the first two universities mentioned. Also, if anyone has any advice for what I can do to prove my interest in physics that would also be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AspiringUnderdog

Further Maths - A^
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Business Studies - A*
Biology - A
RS(short) - A
Spanish - A
English Language - B
English literature - B
Music - B
Media Studies - B
History - B

Overall that is 1 A^, 4 A*s, 3 As and 5 Bs. I am quite disappointed with the Bs and I may get a few remarks but change is unlikely.

I want to apply to do natural science at Cambridge and physics at Imperial, UCL, Kings and Queen Mary. I am going to study maths, further maths, physics and chemistry for A levels.

If I can get 3 or 4 As at AS despite my GCSE grades am I likely to get an offer from one of the first two universities mentioned. Also, if anyone has any advice for what I can do to prove my interest in physics that would also be appreciated.

I guess, if youve got at least six A's with a minimum of a B in english and maths. Your A*'s are very advantageous and this will look good! Its not like you got loads of A's but you got more A*'s so i shoupd think so😄. I got 4 A*'s , 3 A's and 3 B's, with the exclusion of further maths.
Reply 2

Further Maths - A^
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Business Studies - A*
Biology - A
RS(short) - A
Spanish - A
English Language - B
English literature - B
Music - B
Media Studies - B
History - B

Yes, just don't apply to Oxford they tend to value GCSE performance quite a bit. Cambridge on the other hand care about UMS percentages at A and AS-Level. A >93% average across all your subjects, a strong personal statement and a good interview really increase your chances of getting in. Fear not, just smash your A-Levels. Imperial, however, are being very picky with their candidates and tend to favour international students (bc $$$$$), so Imperial can be a bit unpredictable. Good luck.

PS: I'd advise you to take the stand-alone 'AS' qualifications for your subjects. Due to the spec change, few students will have those and universities will be forced to give out offers on the basis of personal statements and predictions only (+ interviews for top top unis). Having those 'AS' qualifications will give you a massive advantage over the other candidates, provided you do well in them. They're a proof of performance that not everyone will have.
(edited 7 years ago)
I got 9 A*'s and 1A - despite this I was only able to get a C grade in the FSMQ further maths. I feel somewhat cheated by my school regarding the selection process and differentiation between students taking FSMQ CIE maths and the AQA further maths. The reason I feel this way is because my peers agree that the FSMQ is far more challenging and it is frankly emetic that the top grade in the AQA exam counts as one of the A*'s on their grade sheet, whereas I have to grovel and tire with more challenging content with far less a desirable reward. Sorry for the rant lol, but wanted to get that out there...
Reply 4
Ngl but you might struggle a lot for Cambridge NatSci as its one of the most competitive courses there. The others you could do easy but that one will be tough. You might regret not doing it though so see what happens at AS first and then make a decision.

I was in a similar boat as I have 1A* 8A's and 2B's at GCSE and now ABBB at AS, but I'm getting a remark so I'll hopefully have AABB and I'm looking to apply for Oxford Biological Sciences in the next cycle.

You can do it if you get AAAA at AS so try your best next year and revise the material you get during your frees throughout the year and yes you might just stand a chance😏

You also have to do an entry exam (I think) so try and ace that too
Original post by JSC16
I guess, if youve got at least six A's with a minimum of a B in english and maths. Your A*'s are very advantageous and this will look good! Its not like you got loads of A's but you got more A*'s so i shoupd think so😄. I got 4 A*'s , 3 A's and 3 B's, with the exclusion of further maths.

Ah alright thanks. Well done on your results too. :smile:
Original post by shuu00
Yes, just don't apply to Oxford they tend to value GCSE performance quite a bit. Cambridge on the other hand care about UMS percentages at A and AS-Level. A >93% average across all your subjects, a strong personal statement and a good interview really increase your chances of getting in. Fear not, just smash your A-Levels. Imperial, however, are being very picky with their candidates and tend to favour international students (bc $$$$$), so Imperial can be a bit unpredictable. Good luck.

PS: I'd advise you to take the stand-alone 'AS' qualifications for your subjects. Due to the spec change, few students will have those and universities will be forced to give out offers on the basis of personal statements and predictions only (+ interviews for top top unis). Having those 'AS' qualifications will give you a massive advantage over the other candidates, provided you do well in them. They're a proof of performance that not everyone will have.

Alright, I'm not interested in applying to Oxford so that should be fine, that sounds kind of disappointing with Imperial though. :frown:(
I've reapplied to two sixth forms and I have a place at my current school, one of them doesn't offer stand-alone ASs unless I'm dropping the subject so I guess I'll avoid that school even if I get a place.
Original post by LukeSaville5555
I got 9 A*'s and 1A - despite this I was only able to get a C grade in the FSMQ further maths. I feel somewhat cheated by my school regarding the selection process and differentiation between students taking FSMQ CIE maths and the AQA further maths. The reason I feel this way is because my peers agree that the FSMQ is far more challenging and it is frankly emetic that the top grade in the AQA exam counts as one of the A*'s on their grade sheet, whereas I have to grovel and tire with more challenging content with far less a desirable reward. Sorry for the rant lol, but wanted to get that out there...

It really sucks things like this. I guess I was quite lucky with the one that my school chose. As far as I've heard it doesn't really matter if you do badly in that because most people don't even study further maths at GCSE level, it's only if you do well that people even look at that. Your 9 A*s should be fine regardless.
Okay, **** my life.

You know they are - stop with the stupid questions. I know you want people to congratulate you for like 749302 pages, but no. You know full well they're good grades now stop.
Original post by AfcFob
Ngl but you might struggle a lot for Cambridge NatSci as its one of the most competitive courses there. The others you could do easy but that one will be tough. You might regret not doing it though so see what happens at AS first and then make a decision.

I was in a similar boat as I have 1A* 8A's and 2B's at GCSE and now ABBB at AS, but I'm getting a remark so I'll hopefully have AABB and I'm looking to apply for Oxford Biological Sciences in the next cycle.

You can do it if you get AAAA at AS so try your best next year and revise the material you get during your frees throughout the year and yes you might just stand a chance😏

You also have to do an entry exam (I think) so try and ace that too

When you say that I'll struggle do you mean to get a place or to actually study the course if I do get in?
I'm going to make sure to spend most of frees revising so I can make sure to ahead of my work.I really want to get straight As next time.
I am pretty sure that there are entry exams for natural science but I think that some colleges just have interviews, the Corpus website wasn't too clear on it I think but I think that I need to check it again.
Original post by ivybridge
Okay, **** my life.

You know they are - stop with the stupid questions. I know you want people to congratulate you for like 749302 pages, but no. You know full well they're good grades now stop.

No seriously I'm not looking for congratulations I'm just asking for advice, a lot of other people have achieved straight As and A*s. I am also using this thread to ask for advice on what I should do to show my interest in physics but of course no one has mentioned that.
no london met will reject u
Reply 12
Ah alright thanks. Well done on your results too. :smile:

Ah cheers man its good to be talking to someone with similar grades and goals:wink:
That's comforting to hear. :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by JSC16
Ah cheers man its good to be talking to someone with similar grades and goals:wink:

Yeah I get you. It feels like we're working on the same mission. :smile:
When you say that I'll struggle do you mean to get a place or to actually study the course if I do get in?
I'm going to make sure to spend most of frees revising so I can make sure to ahead of my work.I really want to get straight As next time.
I am pretty sure that there are entry exams for natural science but I think that some colleges just have interviews, the Corpus website wasn't too clear on it I think but I think that I need to check it again.

Starting this year all natural sciences applicants have to take an entry exam- it's because not everyone will have AS's. Cambridge don't put that much emphasis on your GCSE's so don't worry about them- just make sure you do well this year, especially maths which is not yet reformed. To show an interest in physics research a few topics outside the syllabus that you find interesting, so you can write about them in your personal statement. Books on physics topics are good as well if you can comment on them, but try to stay away from the ones everyone mentions (Brief History of Time).

Further Maths - A^
Maths - A*
Physics - A*
Chemistry - A*
Business Studies - A*
Biology - A
RS(short) - A
Spanish - A
English Language - B
English literature - B
Music - B
Media Studies - B
History - B

Dude, that's fine. but nobody can tell you based on your GCSE's...
It will be your AS Levels, predictions and personal statement that decide this. - Your GCSE's mean very, very little in comparison. Remember that.
Original post by sindyscape62
Starting this year all natural sciences applicants have to take an entry exam- it's because not everyone will have AS's. Cambridge don't put that much emphasis on your GCSE's so don't worry about them- just make sure you do well this year, especially maths which is not yet reformed. To show an interest in physics research a few topics outside the syllabus that you find interesting, so you can write about them in your personal statement. Books on physics topics are good as well if you can comment on them, but try to stay away from the ones everyone mentions (Brief History of Time).

Ah alright I'll keep these things in mind. Do you have any book recommendations that aren't chosen by everyone? Also, I find the Heisenberg Principle interesting.
Original post by dock-leaf
Dude, that's fine. but nobody can tell you based on your GCSE's...
It will be your AS Levels, predictions and personal statement that decide this. - Your GCSE's mean very, very little in comparison. Remember that.

Okay, I'll keep that in mind and make sure to bang out my ASs and my statement! :biggrin:
Your GCSE's are perfectly fine, possibly for Oxford even.

For Natural Sciences, make sure that you have very good UMS, a very good personal statement, good Year 13 predicted grades, good AS grades if you are taking AS exams, and also prepare for your interview. Things look good with the fact that you have A*s in all of the sciences and maths, so you are most-likely capable of achieving well at AS level and therefore should be able to easily get high predicted grades for Year 13 as a result.

It is rather similar for Physics, except that you won't have to worry about your UMS points. Personal statement, predicted grades, AS grades, and interview performance are what you need to focus on.

To show your interest in Physics: read scholarly articles, subscribe to magazines, read physics textbooks, go to weekly physics lectures, join/start a physics society at your school. There are many more activities you could get involved in, but reading outside of the subject and reading/quoting scholarly articles are most favourable. All of these you can talk about in your personal statement, along with a paragraph on a particular topic of interest.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply