The Student Room Group

Advice for RESTARTING the AS year

So I finished Year 12 at Sixth Form and I was upset to discover that at AS level, my results were BDEE in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics respectively. Throughout the year I was getting As and Bs in the tests and mocks, even getting AAAB in the AS January mocks. But during the actual exam period, I basically panicked and flopped a lot of my exams (except Chemistry). Does anyone have any advice for restarting year 12 next year? Thankyou :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Jonathan Butler
So I finished Year 12 at Sixth Form and I was upset to discover that at AS level, my results were BDEE in Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics respectively. Throughout the year I was getting As and Bs in the tests and mocks, even getting AAAB in the AS January mocks. But during the actual exam period, I basically panicked and flopped a lot of my exams (except Chemistry). Does anyone have any advice for restarting year 12 next year? Thankyou :smile:

Heya, I've just finished my Re-Sat year 12 :smile: about to go in to year 13 now. If you want to re sit the year you'll need to go into your school and talk to them about it. Schools don't really like it as its not an easy thing to do and out of the 7 of us in my year that dropped this year, only 3 are still at school this coming September. If you are really committed to it, i would recommend it. I did the same as you and got BCEE in my first year 12. I carried on the B and changed my options. this year i got B in the A2 biology and ABD in the others which means my grade predictions for Uni (you only take the best 3 for UCAS offers) will be A*AB which is so much better than my original options :P ) :smile: I've also changed Degree options. If you are thinking of re sitting be prepared to find new friends in your new year early, It makes it slightly less scary when your "old" friends leave school after exams. Its not an easy option but it is doable if you really want to do well and are able to really fight for it. Let me know if you need any more info :biggrin: Good Luck!
Original post by Samonia
Heya, I've just finished my Re-Sat year 12 :smile: about to go in to year 13 now. If you want to re sit the year you'll need to go into your school and talk to them about it. Schools don't really like it as its not an easy thing to do and out of the 7 of us in my year that dropped this year, only 3 are still at school this coming September. If you are really committed to it, i would recommend it. I did the same as you and got BCEE in my first year 12. I carried on the B and changed my options. this year i got B in the A2 biology and ABD in the others which means my grade predictions for Uni (you only take the best 3 for UCAS offers) will be A*AB which is so much better than my original options :P ) :smile: I've also changed Degree options. If you are thinking of re sitting be prepared to find new friends in your new year early, It makes it slightly less scary when your "old" friends leave school after exams. Its not an easy option but it is doable if you really want to do well and are able to really fight for it. Let me know if you need any more info :biggrin: Good Luck!

Thankyou so much! :smile:. I've already spoken to a number of places and they'll all allow me to resit year 12. Also, I've emailed 5 Russell Group Universities and they all accept 3 years (which shocked me) XD. However, Durham will increase the entry requirements :frown:. Also, what subjects did you take after you changed? And do you have any advice in terms of revision during April and May? I find this time to be incredibly stressful :frown:. Also, congratulations on your results! They're brilliant! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi my advice isn't to study harder for your exams because if you got them grades in your mocks then it's obvious you have put in enough work already to achieve great results out of the actual exams!! It is obvious that your problem is in the way an exam makes you feel when it's not a mock and the amount of pressure you feel in these exams is so high that you will mess up due to something like not being able to concentrate. Before even considering to study harder you need to get your head sorted in regards to how sitting in an exam makes you feel and you need to figure out a tactic for how to calm yourself down in an exam that works for you!! I used to be like you then I realised that being nervous in an exam isn't going to better my grade, if anything it's going to make it worse, and ever since then I've been fine. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cloverjones
Hi my advice isn't to study harder for your exams because if you got them grades in your mocks then it's obvious you have put in enough work already to achieve great results out of the actual exams!! It is obvious that your problem is in the way an exam makes you feel when it's not a mock and the amount of pressure you feel in these exams is so high that you will mess up due to something like not being able to concentrate. Before even considering to study harder you need to get your head sorted in regards to how sitting in an exam makes you feel and you need to figure out a tactic for how to calm yourself down in an exam that works for you!! I used to be like you then I realised that being nervous in an exam isn't going to better my grade, if anything it's going to make it worse, and ever since then I've been fine. Good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou :smile:. I think it's because I had a psychological imperative to see that I went to a Russell Group University, but I've realised that my fears were ridiculous simply because most Russell Group Universities accept 3 years at A-level, should I need it. A lot of universities understand that AS/A-levels do not always go to plan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest