The Student Room Group

Sixth Form wont let me do A-Level Biology and Chemistry

I only got a B in additional science and I need an A to do sciences in A-Level. Due to not getting into any other place worthy of attending despite getting normal results (2As and 5Bs). I am now being forced to do Geography and English. Should I do these A-Levels externally on top of 4 in school or just attend any other sixth form?
Just go to anther sixth form that will let you do the a levels you want. Write to the principal of the sixth form explaining that you are willing to work hard are motivated and any external factors which could have impacted your performance. If nothing happens then just go to a different one
(edited 7 years ago)
do not force yourself to study a-levels you didn't want to, just go to another sixth form
Original post by ...or what
do not force yourself to study a-levels you didn't want to, just go to another sixth form

I went to quite a prestigious sixth form that required BB in GCSE core & additional science in order to study A Level Biology & Chemistry so the fact your sixth form want A's is silly.
Reply 4
Original post by ...or what

Can you go to another sixth form without applying to enrol?
I think its bad that the sixth form is forcing you to take certain A-levels when this is your education and your life. Please take whatever subjects interest you and do what you can to make sure they allow you to, if not then go to a different sixth form.
I'm a bit shocked they wont let you do them with a B, maybe get your parents/carer involved and badger them. I known this may sound silly but my sixth form requirements fro science were B and i know someone who got in who get C at GCSE.
Reply 7
Original post by Jordan_Johnson
I only got a B in additional science and I need an A to do sciences in A-Level. Due to not getting into any other place worthy of attending despite getting normal results (2As and 5Bs). I am now being forced to do Geography and English. Should I do these A-Levels externally on top of 4 in school or just attend any other sixth form?

Don't just pick random A levels, the important question here is, what do you want to study at university? If its something to do with science then there is no point doing subjects that aren't relevant.
Original post by Jordan_Johnson

Sixth form are well within their rights. People who get B grades in science and then do chemistry usually end up with D-U
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Sixth form are well within their rights. People who get B grades in science and then do chemistry usually end up with D-U

Where did you get this information from? And are you the real GradeAunderA?
I think that the majority of sixth forms require students to get an A as a part of the entry requirements in order study any of the hard sciences but there's likely to be some that may let you in with a B. At the end of the day don't force yourself to study subjects that you don't like. If it's what you want to study then just go to a different sixth form. Unfortunately I don't think there's much else you can do.
Original post by Kiritsugu
Where did you get this information from? And are you the real GradeAunderA?

The average A Level Chemistry grade is a D.

The average science/chemistry grade is around a B.

Put two and two together, you know.

This is not true at all. I know people who got A*s at GCSE and ended up with D-U at a level and people got B-C at GCSE and ended up with an A at a level. It all comes down to your attitude towards learning.

I got an A in AS level Chemistry an averaged out at a B over the course of the two years. I didn't get AA or above in GCSE science. Your logic is flawed.

Sixth form is a completely different learning style. People that struggled at GCSE often go and blossom into high achievers during the 16-18 years, and vice versa.

If the sixth form I went to accept BB, no others should really be asking for AA considering many consider the one I went to as 'prestigious'.
The average A Level Chemistry grade is a D.

The average science/chemistry grade is around a B.

Put two and two together, you know.

You said "people who get B grades in Science/chemistry [A-Subsidiary, I assume], usually average out at Chemistry Grade D at A-level".

I don't know where the correlation is between this, no statistics, and it is purely subjective because it doesn't mean it will always be true for everyone. Given that, especially in this case, one variable does not necessarily cause another, it can be safe to conclude that even if you do get a B or a C, if you try very hard at A-level, you can flip the table around - this is an individual basis.

Also, getting Straight A*s in GCSE doesn't mean you won't get poor grades at A2, it all depends on the individual.

Quick Reply

Latest