The Student Room Group

How competitive is this course?

Hi, I am interested in studying an Engineering foundation year at Sheffield or Leeds, but how hard is it to get on these courses I am expected to exceed the entry requirements but is it likely that I will get on the course?
Reply 1
Original post by eyyyooo98
Hi, I am interested in studying an Engineering foundation year at Sheffield or Leeds, but how hard is it to get on these courses I am expected to exceed the entry requirements but is it likely that I will get on the course?

If you meet the entry requirements you are very likely to get an offer.

But when you say you exceed them, what do you mean? eg. If you have the correct qualifications and higher grades you may be better to apply to Year 1, rather than via a Foundation Year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by jneill
If you meet the entry requirements you are very likely to get an offer.

But when you say you exceed them, what do you mean? eg. If you have the correct qualifications and higher grades you may be better to apply to Year 1, rather than via a Foundation Year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. Ok a bit of background I'm studying BTEC Applied Science the required grades for entrance to the course is DDD. I am expected to get D*D*D - D*D*D* I want to do engineering so my course isn't eligible for direct entry so, I will be applying for a foundation year.
Reply 3
Thanks for the reply. Ok a bit of background I'm studying BTEC Applied Science the required grades for entrance to the course is DDD. I am expected to get D*D*D - D*D*D* I want to do engineering so my course isn't eligible for direct entry so, I will be applying for a foundation year.

Have you double-checked with the universities, afaik your BTEC should be absolutely fine for admission to Year 1 at many universities, rather than via foundation. Some might ask for A-level maths, but not all.

And also double-check you won't be "over-qualified" for Foundation.
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
Have you double-checked with the universities, afaik your BTEC should be absolutely fine for admission to Year 1 at many universities, rather than via foundation. Some might ask for A-level maths, but not all.

And also double-check you won't be "over-qualified" for Foundation.

They're asking for DDD at BTEC engineering and a B at a level maths at Sheffield
so, I wouldn't be able to get direct entry I have spoken to the admission staff and they have said my course is fine for the foundation year but I can't stop worrying it won't be :frown: I think it is the amount I want to get onto this course that causes the worry.
Reply 5
They're asking for DDD at BTEC engineering and a B at a level maths at Sheffield
so, I wouldn't be able to get direct entry I have spoken to the admission staff and they have said my course is fine for the foundation year but I can't stop worrying it won't be :frown: I think it is the amount I want to get onto this course that causes the worry.

In that case you are absolutely fine for the Foundation, and you almost certainly get a place.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
In that case you are absolutely fine for the Foundation, and you almost certainly get a place.

Thanks for all the help mate :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest