Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE student wisdom

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Sup Doods
    I got 5A*s, 4As, 2Bs for my GCSEs
    And I’m here to pass on my mediocre wisdom to new GCSE students.

Essentially the amount you study and revise trumps over effort, brains, luck and rich parents.
    More hours = higher grades. This is the same for most subjects at GCSE.
    Its that simple if you can efficiently study: How each subjects offers marks and the subject knowledge for your course.
    Also to understand the importance and weight of coursework. Coursework will be a pain in your back or even the bane of your results if you don’t put in the effort and work it needs. On the majority of my Final exam results i got A*s however due to my lacklustre coursework they were all degraded to much more inferior results .

Here are my more subjects specific comments:

Chemistry, Physics, Biology: Revise the revision guide to the closest detail. A single sentence at the corner of the page will come up as a six mark question in the exam and you will panic. Try and remember everything you learn and get decent coursework results as they will support your final grades.

Computing: Simply understand how to code from earlier in the course so all the coding / algorithmic work will be easy. The computing syllabus isn’t very complicated nor hard so just remember basic ideas which pop up in every exam and be prepared for them. And again i emphasise on the fact that coursework is important.

Mathematics:Maths is either terribly easy or hard for people if its too easy for you skip this part, if you struggle my main tip for you is repetition: just do the same kind of questions till you get bored of them, continue doing that and by the exam you will be able to answer all questions in your sleep. Try not to panic at questions you don’t understand in the exam - just skip them and go through them at the end when your head is refreshed.

Statistics:This GCSE is a joke. It has such a large overlap with mathematics and has a tiny syllabus. It's inferior. Just remember the name of graphs and do decently on the coursework.

Geography: Don’t take this GCSE. This subject alone siphoned half of my revision time nearer to exam week because of the stupidly abundant case studies. Its ridiculous. ( 31 case studies x about 23 or so individual fact per case study = 713 individual facts / values )And a 20 hour coursework.However if you have a nice memory and good dedication its not that bad because it isn’t very tricky question wise (e.g 8marks = 3 paragraphs)

History:If you enjoy history you will be fine. Just memorise the facts and answer the questions how they are meant to be answered in.

English Language, English Literature:This subject exam is literally just understand the mark scheme and how to answer each question. The coursework is pretty tedious just try your hardest and get better at writing.

Spanish:Just learn the language.

Good Luck.

If you just got your GCSE results do you have any wisdom you want to pass on?If so post it below.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.