The Student Room Group

Attention potential UCL undergraduates this September

I think that the majority of people holding law offers at UCL will have by now received a preliminary reading list from Rodney Austin at UCL. I would like to clarify at this moment the precise details of the book on 'Public Law' by Tomkins which was included in the list. When i went to my local Waterstone's the only book they had that was like this was called 'Public Money' and cost a pretty penny at £16.99. Just would like to know if this is indeed the book they want us to read. Many Thanks Kurdt

P.S. Hi everyone look forward to seeing you all in September :smile:
Reply 1
Kurdt Morello
I think that the majority of people holding law offers at UCL will have by now received a preliminary reading list from Rodney Austin at UCL. I would like to clarify at this moment the precise details of the book on 'Public Law' by Tomkins which was included in the list. When i went to my local Waterstone's the only book they had that was like this was called 'Public Money' and cost a pretty penny at £16.99. Just would like to know if this is indeed the book they want us to read. Many Thanks Kurdt

P.S. Hi everyone look forward to seeing you all in September :smile:

im going to UCL too (econ & geog)

nice to hear from a fellow prospective undergraduate :smile:
Reply 2
Kurdt Morello
I would like to clarify at this moment the precise details of the book on 'Public Law' by Tomkins which was included in the list.

Not that I'm a UCL student (prospective or current) nor do I ever intend to study public (constitutional) law ever again, but I would imagine this is Tomkins' book in the Clarendon Law Series. The copy I have is ISBN 019926077X and was published in 2003, so I doubt there is a more recent edition.

The series is generally very good for (reasonably short but detailed) introductory books, although I must say I'm not a great fan of this particular book.

I imagine the book will probably still be over £15, but you'll discover that law books (no matter how short) are never cheap. Become a practitioner and you can buy a book of 200 pages on some stupidly small area (eg: the concept of demurrage in charterparties) for several hundred pounds!
Reply 3
Hold your horses. 'Public Money' is certainly not Tomkins' book. His book is entitled 'Public Law'. Have a look on Amazon or the OUP website if you want to see what the cover looks like (that would be orange, by the way).
Reply 4
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/019926077X/qid=1090185715/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/202-4258573-5399809

This will be the one. Looks like its either out of stock or out of print which is why the mistake was probably made.
You can order it second hand from amazon but its pretty expensive.
Reply 5
The 'Public Money' one IS 'Public law'. It's just some typo thing on the computers as I had the same problem when I ordered it from Ottakars. We figured it had to be that one as there was nothing else similar on their database, so I ordered it and it turned out to be 'Public Law'. As has been said, it has an orange cover and the ISBN is 019926077X. Not sure why I so eagerly splashed out on those books when I suspect I'm not going to make the grades!
Reply 6
Im going to be studying law at UCL this september awell (hey to all others starting in sept).
did anyone recieve anything about a 'bridging course' held in sept?
Reply 8
Nope, i just got the readng list, law review extract and some tips on what to do over the summer e.g. learn to touch type etc..
Reply 9
Are they not still making you do that dire newspaper task? And have they sentyou a Property article to read, Cohen I think?!
Reply 10
I didn't get anything about a newspaper task. I found that property article really interesting, it seemed more like philosophy than law. Will other areas of law be taught or discussed in a similar fashion? I'm still undecided on whether I want to do law and need some further insight into what the subject is like...
Reply 11
I know they're changing the Intro to Law course for this year (thank god!) so they've probably ditched the newspaper task too.

Well done on reading the property article, not many did! lol Yeah it does start off a lot more philosophical and you learn about a lot of theorists before actually getting into the law law. Property is taught by seminars and not lectures so it is a bit different from the others, and the one that people struggle witht he most.
Reply 12
Hey guys thank you for the feedback - £16.99 it cost me from Waterstone's. I will probably meet all of you guys in September during our Freshers' Fortnight :wink: , (results permitting!) and it should be a great laugh. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending