The Student Room Group

What AS grades would you need to apply for Law at a Russell Group university?

In my AS I achieved ABBD (English Language, Law, Psychology and History). I'll be dropping History for A2. Assuming I'm predicted A*AA, would it be sensible to apply for universities such as KCL or Manchester?
Yep that sounds good since Manchester is AAA for law
Original post by Honeystone

Is Manchester actually good for law then? Sorry, I'm hoping to go back to uni next year to do law, which is why I ask since don't wanna **** up this time at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Honeystone

Is Manchester actually good for law then? Sorry, I'm hoping to go back to uni next year to do law, which is why I ask since don't wanna **** up this time choosing a uni >.>

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can get into Manchester with pretty much anything.

With A*AA prediction (ABB is enough) you can go for UCL, King's, Durham, Bristol, Warwick, Notts (only really good for Law, not overall), Edinburgh, Exeter (again, not good overall).

It depends on what you want really. If you're bothered about international rep alongside good Law rep, then go for the first 5 mentioned. If you're considering more of the course, Notts has a fantastic course structure.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by JamilHussain
In my AS I achieved ABBD (English Language, Law, Psychology and History). I'll be dropping History for A2. Assuming I'm predicted A*AA, would it be sensible to apply for universities such as KCL or Manchester?

Yes, you should be sound to apply for them
Reply 6
Original post by Kieranisda1
Yes, you should be sound to apply for them

Manchester is good for Law and has a very good international reputation and place in the word rankings for unis (56th & 35th in 2 respected tables). I'm going there for Law in September. Before people try to rip my head off no I don't think its better than Bristol, Warwick and Notts etc for Law, but I do think its a perfectly decent Law school and it ranks highly for being targeted by the city firms as a uni as shown below as well as scouring their grads on Linkedin.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

If you have any questions about Manchester, PM me. Also to clarify you can get in to Manchester on anything, you can't quite. They were very tight this year, some people who missed their grade by 1 were rejected and the very lowest they took if you missed it was AAB, but as I said, even some who got that were rejected. Again, not trying to make Manchester look better than top London and the others I said, but it deserves more credit than people on TSR give it.

*I mean tight on getting in for Law btw when I talk about the AAB, I know they probably lower more for other courses in clearing etc. Manchester was not in clearing for Law this year but often is.
(edited 7 years ago)
For a Russell Group uni the lowest entry requirements I know are for Liverpool, which are ABB. So to get predictions of that, you'd probably need BCC minimum.

So, BCC are the minimum AS grades for Law at a Russell Group uni.
Original post by ORW
Manchester is good for Law and has a very good international reputation and place in the word rankings for unis (56th & 35th in 2 respected tables). I'm going there for Law in September. Before people try to rip my head off no I don't think its better than Bristol, Warwick and Notts etc for Law, but I do think its a perfectly decent Law school and it ranks highly for being targeted by the city firms as a uni as shown below as well as scouring their grads on Linkedin.

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

If you have any questions about Manchester, PM me. Also to clarify you can get in to Manchester on anything, you can't quite. They were very tight this year, some people who missed their grade by 1 were rejected and the very lowest they took if you missed it was AAB, but as I said, even some who got that were rejected. Again, not trying to make Manchester look better than top London and the others I said, but it deserves more credit than people on TSR give it.

The second part of this post isn't quite true. This year, had you checked, their clearing grades went down by 2/3 grades on nearly every course a part from Physics. They tend to do that every year. But overall, good argument.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by PeterhouseKIL
The second part of this post isn't quite true. This year, had you checked, their clearing grades went down by 2/3 grades on nearly every course a part from Physics. They tend to do that every year. But overall, good argument.

I was talking about getting in for Law specifically, I should of mentioned that. Manchester was not in clearing for Law this year but yes, most unis do lower their grades a fair bit for clearing though.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply