The Student Room Group

College or Sixth Form?

Scroll to see replies

I never knew of the 6th form vs college thing with 6th forms being thought of as "better" until I started posting on here more.

In my area there's only one state school with a 6th form (which is tiny) but a really good college (loads of students going to Oxbridge, RG, great grades etc etc) which has something like 1800 students, plus another reasonably good college quite close too so people just naturally go to one of those usually

If my school had a 6th form I don't think I'd want to go, I'm looking forward to a fresh start and new people as I lowkey hate half my year group lol
Reply 21
Original post by Fluffpuffle
I never knew of the 6th form vs college thing with 6th forms being thought of as "better" until I started posting on here more.

In my area there's only one state school with a 6th form (which is tiny) but a really good college (loads of students going to Oxbridge, RG, great grades etc etc) which has something like 1800 students, plus another reasonably good college quite close too so people just naturally go to one of those usually

If my school had a 6th form I don't think I'd want to go, I'm looking forward to a fresh start and new people as I lowkey hate half my year group lol

yh, that wouldve been one of my issues with going to a sixth form but thankfully i only know one person thats going there and its kinda far from my house
Reply 22
Are sixth form colleges strict?
Sixth form!
I went to college and it was just awful!
Couldnt have been much worse tbh.
I was bullied, the teachers didnt teach us, we spend 99% of the time at home (this may be good but it was irritating not learning anything!), peoples possesions were vandalized, people were sexually assaulted (including me). Sixth Form generally has the more mature harder working type, whereas college gets the rejects and the people who didnt realize what Sixth Form could bring you.

DONT GO TO COLLEGE!
Reply 24
Original post by FireFreezer77
Sixth form!
I went to college and it was just awful!
Couldnt have been much worse tbh.
I was bullied, the teachers didnt teach us, we spend 99% of the time at home (this may be good but it was irritating not learning anything!), peoples possesions were vandalized, people were sexually assaulted (including me). Sixth Form generally has the more mature harder working type, whereas college gets the rejects and the people who didnt realize what Sixth Form could bring you.

DONT GO TO COLLEGE!

:redface: Noted...
where do you live????

Original post by Rajive

Not that strict but alot more rules than colleges who dont really care about if you take loads of days off or skip lessons...
its basically like high school with more freedom
Reply 25
Not that strict but alot more rules than colleges who dont really care about if you take loads of days off or skip lessons...

For lunch, could you leave the school premises?
Reply 26
Original post by s.mo
:redface: Noted...
where do you live????

In sixth form colleges, could you leave the school premises for lunch and all that?
Reply 27
Original post by Rajive
In sixth form colleges, could you leave the school premises for lunch and all that?

Yes
Original post by Rajive

Depends on which one you go to, each one varies loads. What's true for one isn't true for another
Reply 29
I got a college offer, I turned it down.
College is where most fresh start people go to, I would go Sixth form mainly to concentrate on studies and girls. #Peace.

I mean college isn't bad, but I jus don't like it.
From my experience/from what Ive heard, colleges give students more freedom and responsibility to students over their studies but at least in my area they tend to be not as good academically as 6th forms, with poorer teaching quality and more issues etc. It seems as if colleges are better for btecs/vocational courses though, but this is just what I think. Go to open days for both if I were you.
Reply 31
Original post by Cannoning
From my experience/from what Ive heard, colleges give students more freedom and responsibility to students over their studies but at least in my area they tend to be not as good academically as 6th forms, with poorer teaching quality and more issues etc. It seems as if colleges are better for btecs/vocational courses though, but this is just what I think. Go to open days for both if I were you.

I already went to the sixth form and the open day is on friday so ill be going but there is no open day for the college....

Quick Reply

Latest