The Student Room Group

Did anybody get full UMS in one of their subjects this year?

Hello :smile:
I've heard that if you get full UMS in a subject at GCSE you get an award for it in the form of a letter from the exam board. Did any of you guys get one yourself or know someone who did? If so, could you please tell me which exam board it was from and the subject it was for? I am just curious because I was close and it sounds interesting. I know that AQA definetley did it in the past, but I'm not sure about now. Thank You.

Scroll to see replies

I don't think you do get an award... It doesn't make much difference about marks at GCSE, not unless you are getting a remark and you are close to the grade boundary
Reply 2
Original post by hattie_creese
I don't think you do get an award... It doesn't make much difference about marks at GCSE, not unless you are getting a remark and you are close to the grade boundary

Ok, thanks for letting me know :smile: Did you take any of your GCSE's this year?
Reply 3
Original post by Moppet
Hello :smile:
I've heard that if you get full UMS in a subject at GCSE you get an award for it in the form of a letter from the exam board. Did any of you guys get one yourself or know someone who did? If so, could you please tell me which exam board it was from and the subject it was for? I am just curious because I was close and it sounds interesting. I know that AQA definetley did it in the past, but I'm not sure about now. Thank You.

I got 100% UMS in biology and chemistry at GCSE a couple years ago, the exam board was OCR and I didn't receive anything from the exam boards.
Reply 4
AQA used to send letters if you got one of the top 5 raw marks in the country (the bar for that is generally a fair bit higher than full UMS) but I don't think they do it any more. WJEC give some awards - not sure of the criteria but I don't think Edexcel or OCR do anything.
Where on the results sheets do you look for the UMS marks??
Original post by Moppet
Ok, thanks for letting me know :smile: Did you take any of your GCSE's this year?

No I finished my A levels this year! :smile: well done for getting nearly full marks.
Reply 7
Original post by Starlight2000
Where on the results sheets do you look for the UMS marks??

On my sheet it was under a column called "mark equivalent" between "grade" and "points" but i think different exam boards/ schools format it differently
Reply 8
I got physics and chem this year :h:

1 mark off for bio lol
I got my GCSE results a few days ago and I got 100% UMS in Physics 1 (Edexcel), English Literature units 1 and 4 (AQA) and History B: How was British Society Changed (OCR) and I haven't got any letter from any of the exam boards, I don't think you do.
Reply 10
Original post by Jpw1097
I got 100% UMS in biology and chemistry at GCSE a couple years ago, the exam board was OCR and I didn't receive anything from the exam boards.

Wow, well done! I don't think OCR do anything about it after all but maybe they should? Just a letter would be nice to have
Reply 11
Original post by Kaedra
I got physics and chem this year :h:

1 mark off for bio lol

That's really cool! Are you going do be doing any of them for a-level?
Original post by The Grand Design
I got my GCSE results a few days ago and I got 100% UMS in Physics 1 (Edexcel), English Literature units 1 and 4 (AQA) and History B: How was British Society Changed (OCR) and I haven't got any letter from any of the exam boards, I don't think you do.

They have never sent them out for getting full UMS in individual units. If they did that them they'd have to send out 1000s. - we had 23 students who got full UMS in one RE unit.
Original post by Compost
They have never sent them out for getting full UMS in individual units. If they did that them they'd have to send out 1000s. - we had 23 students who got full UMS in one RE unit.

Oh yeah, that makes sense. But even so I got 100% UMS in English Literature as a whole and I didn't get a letter or anything like that.
Yeah full ums in AQA History B(240/240)
i got full UMS in Bio
and was 1 mark away from full marks in Eng Lit
Full UMS in specific exams but not whole subjects.
I got full UMS in specific units and I was one UMS mark off getting full UMS in both Re exams.
Reply 18
Original post by Moppet
That's really cool! Are you going do be doing any of them for a-level?

Yeah, I'm doing Physics and Chem as it turns out (along with Maths + FM but you don't get UMS for those lol) so I'm pretty happy about it :tongue:
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Yeah full ums in AQA History B(240/240)

HOW DO U DO SO WELL IN HISTORY??? Good job!!! I'm taking it but I'm really confused- everyone says they can never understand the exam technique u need for the essays. I'm doing edexcel so i don't know how different the exams are but still, any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest