The Student Room Group

Nottingham or Oxbridge?

So results day turned out far better than expected and I ended up with 3 A*s in Maths, Physics and Chemistry (as well as the C in computing I took a year early).

My original favourite was Bristol, but they basically rejected me by changing my offer to Elec&CompSci a while ago and had no places in adjustment for CompSci.

I'm kind of in the process of deciding whether to just suck it up and go to my firm (Nottingham) or wait a year and apply to Bristol and Oxford/Cambridge.

Bristol would definitely give me an offer with those grades, so I could work/travel for a year, but for Oxbridge I'd still have to smash the MAT and interview... My application would already be slightly harmed by the C in computing and I've spoken to a few tutors for Oxford who have said that I should take up Further Maths this year to compensate. The idea of another year of school is dreadful, especially if I don't actually get in.

Just looking on some advice on what to do.
Could you tell us some more about what your pros and cons for each option are? Why do you want to study at each Uni as opposed to others?
Original post by zackdove
So results day turned out far better than expected and I ended up with 3 A*s in Maths, Physics and Chemistry (as well as the C in computing I took a year early).

My original favourite was Bristol, but they basically rejected me by changing my offer to Elec&CompSci a while ago and had no places in adjustment for CompSci.

I'm kind of in the process of deciding whether to just suck it up and go to my firm (Nottingham) or wait a year and apply to Bristol and Oxford/Cambridge.

Bristol would definitely give me an offer with those grades, so I could work/travel for a year, but for Oxbridge I'd still have to smash the MAT and interview... My application would already be slightly harmed by the C in computing and I've spoken to a few tutors for Oxford who have said that I should take up Further Maths this year to compensate. The idea of another year of school is dreadful, especially if I don't actually get in.

Just looking on some advice on what to do.

I think your chances of getting into Oxbridge would be pretty strong if you did Further Maths in your gap year (I imagine self-teaching rather than in school). As you say, Bristol would certainly give you an offer. How much would you prefer Bristol to Nottingham (and Oxbridge to Bristol)? Do you think you find something to do in your gap year? Also, have you thought about Imperial?

If I was in your position, I would definitely apply to Cambridge, Imperial and Bristol. But there's nothing wrong with taking your place at Nottingham.
There are other options which are very good even if you don't get in to Oxford or Cambridge

If I were you I'd most definitely take a year out, focus on FM and getting relevant work experience in Computing.

I'd apply to something like:
1. Cambridge/Oxford
2. Imperial
3. UCL
4. Manchester/Edinburgh/Bristol/Warwick
5. Manchester/Edinburgh/Bristol/Warwick

Quick Reply

Latest