Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

student finance funding

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Hi all.
    I am a bit confused about the rules on the +1 year you can get funding for.

    Lets say I started a 3 year degree and then dropped out in 1st year (got full funding for that), then went to do a foundation degree (2 year) finished that and achieved a FdSc (got full finding for that) then want to do a 'top - up' year (1 year) that will give me a BA at the end of it, can I get full funding for the 'top-up' year or not because I have used my +1 year?


    Hope you get some answers! Didn't wanna just read and run x

    You've had four years of funding so no i wouldn't have thought so

    (Original post by Jackieox)
    You've had four years of funding so no i wouldn't have thought so
    They've had three years of funding.

    OP: I'm pretty sure you can't since to get student finance you have to have no higher education qualifications if I recall correctly, which means anything beyond A Levels. Since you've got a foundation degree I'd guess that means a no, but you could always ring up and ask!

    Edit: I found this for you..

    "If you’ve completed a higher education course that leads on to an honours degree or other ‘end-on’ course (eg you’ve completed a Higher National Certificate (HNC), Higher National Diploma (HND), Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) or foundation degree course), you can apply for funding for the duration of your end-on course. However, if you get your funding in:

    England from Student Finance England and you started your ‘end-on’ course on or after 1 September 2012, both courses must be either full-time or part-time, and you must begin the end-on course no later than five months after completing your previous course, but not necessarily at the same university or college. You can only get a tuition fee loan for one year of your ‘end-on’ course."

    Found here http://www.nus.org.uk/en/advice/mone...funding-again/
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 27, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.