The Student Room Group

I don't know how anyone can eat meat :-(

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Prince_fancybum
How many male friesians are there in those fields? None, because they're all immediately sent if to slaughter because they don't produce milk. Therefore drinking milk directly contributed to the killing of millions of cows.

Most farmers now send their friesans to other farms to be reared for meat. Yes still resulting in contributing to the meat industry but they're not immediately slaughtered. Tbf I do always say that arguement to veggies of why eat milk and eggs when both do end up contributing to the meat industry...always baffled me.

Tbf this thread is turning me vegan purely because the answers of the meat eaters are pure moronic, I'm sorry guys but do your research :') (I'm not really btw)
(edited 7 years ago)
I do feel bad for the poor little babies in the vid. I would ever eat lamb. Lets be honest the people in the vid should be shot on sight. I am not a vegetarian, but I think humans should only eat certain animals, like chicken. I mean chicken are basically just food anyway.
Original post by beccac94
Yes some of the things you've mentioned do happen but things like farrowing crates only occur for around 4-5 days

Pigs can be kept in farrowing crates for up to five weeks (they're moved into them around a week before they're due to give birth, and are then kept in them for up to 4 weeks after birth), and this occurs every few months.

a lot of farms dont use them plus the only reason they're used is because sows will crush their piglets and they'll sufffocate to death, so its a balance of piglet or sow welfare there. Even when pigs have huuuggggeee pens which are outside the sow will crush her piglets (more often actually than inside).

We don't have to make this choice: don't put beings in a position in which they're either confined for weeks or they might be crushed by their mothers, i.e. don't eat pigs.

so now I only buy chicken from a local city farm which have the best life possible because they spend all day running round outside, put inside during the night so foxes don't get them and spend all day getting fed by children. Completely agree with the leg problems and stuff though this is why theres a push for the industry to now correct this and breeders are now breeding animals so this is less likely to happen.

As I said, if people are vegan on all other occasions - when eating out, and buying products that don't have dairy or egg in them - except when they buy from a local farm whose conditions they can personally assess, I'm fine with that.

Do you have evidence of breeders trying to correct the problem of chickens growing so quickly?

But I do think some of your points are wrong and I advise you actually visit some farms, work along side the farmers, see the animals and their conditions because I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Yes theres some back examples out there which do put a bad name for a lot of other places and put people off of them but you'll find a lot of farms which don't do the things you say and have amazing welfare.

Which of my points are wrong? I'm not claiming that all farms are like this, but it's not a case of there being bad examples: these are industry norms and everything that I've described is perfectly legal. The majority of meat sold in the UK does come from factory farms, and it's pretty hard to conduct investigations in the first place, so if random investigations find these conditions in farm after farm after "high welfare" farm, ditto for slaughterhouses, then something is wrong.

As I said to someone else, cows are perhaps the best treated of the animals we raise for meat, and factory farms only produce a minority of beef and lamb. So, again, I'm not saying that all farms are like this. I still wouldn't eat them, though, because more demand for meat will only increase the number of factory farms and increase the number of practices such as castration and tail-docking of lambs. Another example is in the dairy industry, (which historically hasn't included much factory farming, although it has specific problems of its own meaning that I'd say dairy is worse than beef), where we're seeing 'zero grazing' systems in which dairy cows never see the light of day (on top of the mastitis and the leg problems, and the highly distressful separation from their calves that all dairy cows go through) becoming increasingly popular in the UK due to demand for dairy.

Indeed, I'd say that dairy production is pretty much bad across the board (even when cows are given access to the outdoors), but even if you don't think so, how many of the products that we buy contain dairy which is from zero grazing dairy farms? We don't know, but I'd bet a significant proportion is. Similarly, as I said earlier, if half of all eggs sold in the UK come from caged hens, and many cage-free farms are just as bad, how many of our products contain eggs from these sources? I'd bet a substantial proportion.

Also, producing beef is responsible for a copious amount of greenhouse gas emissions, and I'm very worried about climate change.

Thank you for your thoughtful reply, by the way.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SunnyBoys
Depends on how you see this. I just see battery farming as a way to feed thousands of people who can never afford free range.

Meat is not a necessity. It's certainly not a case that people in this county cannot afford free range, the only people who say that I find have poor diets. I.e, they want to eat meat multiple times a day, and they like processed foods.

Before I became vegetarian, I used to eat free range chicken. Because it was more expensive I used to less of it, but guess what? I survived :wink:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

The taste of meat was honestly SO not worth the few times I had it again. Meat alone is disgustingly plain, most of us would gag if were made to eat just that alone for a meal. It's only because it gets seasoned and flavoured that most people love it.

I disagree, I ate chicken whilst I had was struggling vegetarian and thought how flavoursome it was. I do not know why people say this :lolwut:
Okay, so a tiny history about moi. I used to be a full on vegetarian for almost 3 years, I attempted vegan but failed many times due to not being able to resist a cup of tea or coffee, or eating cake made with egg etc.

I tried meat a little while ago again, a few times and at the time I thought nothing of it. My mindset was "I've saved enough animals in the last 3 years, I can enjoy a chicken burger right?"

I was going through a rough patch at the time and was a bit numb to everything in life so I didn't really care where the meat was coming from or if the animals died for my plate.

The taste of meat was honestly SO not worth the few times I had it again. Meat alone is disgustingly plain, most of us would gag if were made to eat just that alone for a meal. It's only because it gets seasoned and flavoured that most people love it.

Anyway, I saw this video last night and I cried and cried. I feel that this kind of practice should be illegal, playing God with an innocent beings life. The way all the baby lambs huddled in fear because they knew that they would be next. This kind of killing makes me embarrassed of myself (that I tried meat again) and anyone who uses "meat is tasty" as an excuse for this type of killing.

[video="youtube;WO6Wd1i7eoM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WO6Wd1i7eoM[/video]

Anyway, I am now 100% vegan. I will not contribute to any of this disgusting behaviour. I've hated vegans in the past, especially militant vegans but honestly this is disgusting and it turns my stomach.

I haven't really got a question, I just felt like expressing these feelings somewhere. However please do comment if you eat meat and feel fine doing after knowing about all this stuff.

It's life
s*** happens all the time so that's how I eat meat. Stop thinking you're so morally superior. If you want to be a vegetarion then go for it but keep it to yourself because other people couldn't care less.
Reply 226
Original post by Thatduck
It's life
s*** happens all the time so that's how I eat meat. Stop thinking you're so morally superior. If you want to be a vegetarion then go for it but keep it to yourself because other people couldn't care less.

Stop being such a naive fatalist

Posted from TSR Mobile
My carnivorous instincts aren't satisfied unless I'm chomping on a big fat juicy steak :drool:

If there ain't no meat, then it's just a starter. :colonhash:
Surely it's just preference... Militant vegans will never win over militant carnivorous people (?) and the opposite is also true... Just eat without trying to ruin the appetite of the person next to you with your arguments. In the end, it is food
My mindset was "I've saved enough animals in the last 3 years, I can enjoy a chicken burger right?"

I'm not sure I understand this mindset. How have you "saved" any animals simply by abstaining from eating meat? If you've infiltrated farms in the dead of night with some wire cutters and set loose a herd of cows then fair enough, but you not eating meat doesn't mean that fewer animals will be killed for consumption.

Quick Reply

Latest