The Student Room Group

So the new fastest production car is electric (not to mention a 4 door saloon)...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cbreef
2.5s is only their quoted time. I'd love to see it go without launch control.
I'm sorry, but petrol powered cars are still faster, cheaper, more reliable, more fun etc.
Whilst I do believe the future belongs to electric cars, they are still inferior atm.
EDIT: These cars @FireFreezer77 has talked about are not built for racing....

Most of the fast cars out there you won't be able to get their quoted 0-62mph times without launch control. Even the easiest "supercar" to drive out there, the Nissan GT-R you'd struggle to get anywhere without the launch control.

Do you have any stats or sources to prove that petrol cars are more reliable than an electric one?
Original post by FireFreezer77
There are loads fo cars that go quicker than that for less!
BMW E60 M5 £20,000 = 204MPH
Dodge Challenger/Charger Hellcat = £40,000 = 707bhp = 204mph!

Tesla Model S P100 Top Speed = 155mph for £100,000

Id rather stick with a Mazda RX7 which can be upgraded to above those stats for less money than the Tesla!

And the Porsche 918 does 0-60 in 2.2s anyway so thats the fastest accelerating production car :wink:

Equivalent petrol cars cost way less btw! Do some research and then come back!
And $1,000,000 really!? What planet are you on?!
A Nissan GTR costs less than £100k and goes faster so yeah...

Except in no way can the RX7 ever handle or have the chassis dynamics as newer more modern cars.

Most cars that have a 155mph top speed are electronically limited to do so, in most countries the E60 M5 was also limited to 155mph for reliability and safety reasons. Indeed these cars can go MUCH faster if you remove the limiter but it will also need to be done in tandem with upgrades to the tyres at bare minimum.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Alfissti
Most of the fast cars out there you won't be able to get their quoted 0-62mph times without launch control. Even the easiest "supercar" to drive out there, the Nissan GT-R you'd struggle to get anywhere without the launch control.

Do you have any stats or sources to prove that petrol cars are more reliable than an electric one?

Well I'm not sure there are any studies on this. But I would add that we have been refining petrol cars for 100 years now, electric cars are still relatively new technology and their batteries wear out after a few years of use, requiring you to buy a whole new f*cking battery which, as you would expect, are bloody expensive bits of kit.
Except in no way can the RX7 ever handle or have the chassis dynamics as newer more modern cars.

Most cars that have a 155mph top speed are electronically limited to do so, in most countries the E60 M5 was also limited to 155mph for reliability and safety reasons. Indeed these cars can go MUCH faster if you remove the limiter but it will also need to be done in tandem with upgrades to the tyres at bare minimum.

Except for the ones that already have those things! Which is most of them!

Well done! Everyone already knows that!
Again, well done! I already know that!
Hence why you buy new tyres when you buy the car! Its common practice tbh. Buy a set of good tyres (from a good brand: Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, Goodyear are your best bets) and youre good to go.
Original post by cbreef
Well I'm not sure there are any studies on this. But I would add that we have been refining petrol cars for 100 years now, electric cars are still relatively new technology and their batteries wear out after a few years of use, requiring you to buy a whole new f*cking battery which, as you would expect, are bloody expensive bits of kit.

Indeed petrol cars have been refined over the last few decades, however we have also been adding a lot more to it. The average car now contains far more wires and cabling than your average home put together with all its appliances. We have been adding numerous sensors everywhere and moving parts have since been replaced from steel to other lighter or cheaper materials. These haven't exactly been reliable and some of these don't exactly last all that long due to engineering tolerances and material science which in short means it is no longer engineered to last forever.

Electric cars have very little moving parts and there aren't any auxiliary devices attached to the propulsion unit where in a petrol car it will have the alternator and air conditioning compressor as well as the gearbox that are attached to the engine. In an electric car everything is powered by the battery.

Battery lifespans, there are actually very few electric or hybrid cars that has had its battery module replaced, many of these were replaced as a manufacturing defect rather than due to lack of performance. You can also replace cells within the battery pack rather than replacing everything at one go. A Tesla has its battery warranted for 8 years or 200,000km where it won't deteriorate, after which it currently cost US$12,000 to replace which isn't a lot considering the price of the car and it will come down in time to come. Many lesser electric cars you don't actually own the battery but you have to lease it so you would never need to ever replace it.
Indeed petrol cars have been refined over the last few decades, however we have also been adding a lot more to it. The average car now contains far more wires and cabling than your average home put together with all its appliances. We have been adding numerous sensors everywhere and moving parts have since been replaced from steel to other lighter or cheaper materials. These haven't exactly been reliable and some of these don't exactly last all that long due to engineering tolerances and material science which in short means it is no longer engineered to last forever.

Electric cars have very little moving parts and there aren't any auxiliary devices attached to the propulsion unit where in a petrol car it will have the alternator and air conditioning compressor as well as the gearbox that are attached to the engine. In an electric car everything is powered by the battery.

Battery lifespans, there are actually very few electric or hybrid cars that has had its battery module replaced, many of these were replaced as a manufacturing defect rather than due to lack of performance. You can also replace cells within the battery pack rather than replacing everything at one go. A Tesla has its battery warranted for 8 years or 200,000km where it won't deteriorate, after which it currently cost US$12,000 to replace which isn't a lot considering the price of the car and it will come down in time to come. Many lesser electric cars you don't actually own the battery but you have to lease it so you would never need to ever replace it.

200,000km is 120,000 miles, now paying $12,000 for a new part on a petrol car is virtually unheard of. You could get a brand new engine/rebuild for literally half that. The moving parts on an electric car outside the engine are identical too i.e chassis, wheels, brakes etc so no differences there.
Reply 27
Original post by nexttime
...how does any company still making petrol-based cars still have a share price?

Link to Tesla website below. In short: 0-60 in 2.5s, 4 doors and a boot, more than $100,000 dollars but equivalent petrol super cars are $1,000,000+ and there are budget models on the way.

https://www.tesla.com/blog/new-tesla-model-s-now-quickest-production-car-world

I I had invested £10,000 in Tesla when I made this thread, I'd now have >£180,000. Mad regrets :frown:

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-55577786
If you are interested in CO2, add the CO2 generated in making the electric car, to that produced by making the batteries, and that produced by the many power plants that are required to charge the electric car many, many times over the course of its life, and i suspect that you will end up with a huge multiple of the CO2 produced by a conventional internal combustion vehicle. BTW: there is an interesting article on SNAP power generators on wickapedia - and their uses on ocean buoys and NASA spacecraft. One of the primary disadvantages seems to have been the weight involved with them [probably due to the shielding required]. I was involved in a small project with them involving ocean buoys in the Caribbean for voice relays of FAA traffic control radios. The use of petrol fueled generators on those buoys was impractical, due to the danger of having to refuel them when any kind of a sea was running. Cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending