The Student Room Group

Improving at A-Level

Okay, so I'm *fairly* happy with my GCSE grades. I had 2 A*s, 3 As, 5 Bs and 2 Cs. I know that they aren't anything special, especially by TSR standards. However, I SERIOUSLY want to do better at A-Level, possibly earning 4 As. I became lazy and complacent while doing my GCSEs which resulted in me doing worse in subjects that I know I could've gotten As or A*s in had I put in the effort. So, do you think that I'll be able to achieve top grades if I'm dedicated enough?

The subjects I'm doing for A-Level are the ones I had 2 A*s and an A in.

Thanks!
Original post by allfunandjames
Okay, so I'm *fairly* happy with my GCSE grades. I had 2 A*s, 3 As, 5 Bs and 2 Cs. I know that they aren't anything special, especially by TSR standards. However, I SERIOUSLY want to do better at A-Level, possibly earning 4 As. I became lazy and complacent while doing my GCSEs which resulted in me doing worse in subjects that I know I could've gotten As or A*s in had I put in the effort. So, do you think that I'll be able to achieve top grades if I'm dedicated enough?

The subjects I'm doing for A-Level are the ones I had 2 A*s and an A in.

Thanks!

Which subjects are you going to study? :h: you would most likely benefit from subject specific advice.

Otherwise, in general, put in the effort. You don't need to work hard from minute one but keep on top of homework, do extra work at home (note writing, question practice etc), doing as many exam papers as possible etc.

Also for me sometimes I would study ahead by 1 lesson just to be able to engage with what the teacher is saying rather than it going over my head in the lesson. Doesn't mean I understodo things 100% but I would have questions to ask to make sure I understand whilst it's being taught.
Original post by SeanFM
Which subjects are you going to study? :h: you would most likely benefit from subject specific advice.

Otherwise, in general, put in the effort. You don't need to work hard from minute one but keep on top of homework, do extra work at home (note writing, question practice etc), doing as many exam papers as possible etc.

Also for me sometimes I would study ahead by 1 lesson just to be able to engage with what the teacher is saying rather than it going over my head in the lesson. Doesn't mean I understodo things 100% but I would have questions to ask to make sure I understand whilst it's being taught.

Thanks for the advice, I plan on being extremely organised. I'm doing History, English Language & Literature (rolled into one A-Level) and Biology. I understand that Biology seems to be a wild card, but it's what I enjoy. Additionally, my college makes it compulsory to study A-Level Welsh Bacc.

Quick Reply

Latest