The Student Room Group

Sudden stress about A Level choices/degree wishes/life choices in general :S

Hi, I'm currently really stressed out about what career path I want to go down in the future. It's not the fact that I don't enjoy anything, but rather the opposite - I have interests in too many areas. The main things I am interested are Medicine and Computer Science, which I know, are 2 completely contrasting fields and so I don't understand why I am drawn to both.

I have had experience in both fields and I would love to go down both, and I know that sooner or later I will have to make a decision in order to make a solid application when it comes to Y13. BUT, I feel that I should actually be making that decision now because I need to tailor my A Level options towards my choice.

CURRENT A LEVEL CHOICES
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology

Things I am interested in which these are very suitable for:
- Medicine
- Biochemistry
- Biomedicine
- Natural Sciences

POSSIBLE CHANGES
Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Computer Science?
- Computer Science
- Natural Sciences

Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science
- Mathematics
- Computer Science
- Natural Sciences

Should I keep my A Level options as they are? I know that I can apply to CS with the current subjects but I'm really worried that it will make me a much weaker candidate, especially since I am aiming for a top uni :redface:
Sorry for the extra long post - I just have a lot going on in my head about all of this :colondollar:
Original post by surina16
Hi, I'm currently really stressed out about what career path I want to go down in the future. It's not the fact that I don't enjoy anything, but rather the opposite - I have interests in too many areas. The main things I am interested are Medicine and Computer Science, which I know, are 2 completely contrasting fields and so I don't understand why I am drawn to both.

I have had experience in both fields and I would love to go down both, and I know that sooner or later I will have to make a decision in order to make a solid application when it comes to Y13. BUT, I feel that I should actually be making that decision now because I need to tailor my A Level options towards my choice.

CURRENT A LEVEL CHOICES

- Medicine
- Biochemistry
- Biomedicine
- Natural Sciences

POSSIBLE CHANGES
- Computer Science
- Natural Sciences

- Mathematics
- Computer Science
- Natural Sciences

Should I keep my A Level options as they are? I know that I can apply to CS with the current subjects but I'm really worried that it will make me a much weaker candidate, especially since I am aiming for a top uni :redface:

Maybe Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science? Only because physics will help you with mechanics in maths and vice versa.
Look into doing work experience for both. See which one you can imagine yourself doing in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your A levels are fine for both Medicine and Computer Science, so yeah, they look fine as they are.

You don't need an A level in Computer Science to do Computer Science at university, Maths will suffice and if you're doing Further Maths that's even better :smile: They'll care a lot more about your mathematical ability than having done Computer Science at A level, and you said that you've already had some experience in Computer Science? That's great, that'll definitely help your application (do some more too if you can, it will help).

If you're still not sure you can always contact the universities you want to apply to and ask them, go to some open days too and speak to the lecturers and current students of the courses you want to apply to, doing this early as you can will benefit you because you'll have a clearer view of the direction you want to go in.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Ignore my last post.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some med schools don't require biology for admission (but could help with bmat? idk)
But most compsci courses recommend physics. So perhaps swap bio with physics if you want to, but if not, those options look fine
Original post by hellomynameisr
Some med schools don't require biology for admission (but could help with bmat? idk)
But most compsci courses recommend physics. So perhaps swap bio with physics if you want to, but if not, those options look fine

What? I haven't come across any that ask for Physics. Are you thinking of Computer Engineering? Most Computer Science courses ask for Maths though because it's a subject that's heavy on Maths.
(edited 7 years ago)
I really feel for you with this - I changed my A levels so many times and I've only just now (aged 20) decided what it is I want to do at university.
You can still be a strong candidate for computer sciences without taking computer science at A level, as many places (sixth forms) won't offer this A level anyway, and if you can handle the hard science and math subjects it shows that you have the high level of intelligence necessary for the top universities - the extra curricular activities you do (clubs, work experience etc) to show your interest in the subject would be what you needed to make your application competitive.
There's usually a point at the beginning of term (usually around 3-4 weeks long) in which you can switch up the A levels you choose and it doesn't end up going on your uni application that you did this other subject (this may have changed since I did A levels so you'd have to clarify with somebody at your college). But I know a girl who was torn between 5 subjects - Maths, Further maths and the three sciences, and the college let her take all 5 subjects at the very beginning of term so she had time to decide which ones she liked best, and then just dropped one before the 3-4 week period ended. Alternatively if you get to the end of this period and think you'd be up for it you could continue with all 5 A levels and then make a decision at the end of the year.
Whilst this may be very far in advance (imo you can never start this too early) it may be a good idea to try and find some work experience within the computer science and the medicine field so that you can make a more informed choice on which one you like best.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by surina16

CURRENT A LEVEL CHOICES

- Medicine
- Biochemistry
- Biomedicine
- Natural Sciences

POSSIBLE CHANGES
- Computer Science
- Natural Sciences

- Mathematics
- Computer Science
- Natural Sciences

I read your GCSE thread and you got excellent results so congratulations!

Does your school allow 5 subjects because Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths are A-Levels which keep all your options open and give you the perfect foundation for a career in the sciences, which ever that may be. Taking 5 may be too much work so you could try 5 and drop which subject you're liking least out of the 5, if you're finding that you aren't handling the work load well. These subjects give a strong profile for applying to the top universities for all the courses you have listed.

Really think about the work experience you did and consider the career as a whole - course length/working hours/training etc.
I know I chose my A-Levels slightly unsure and I'm still a bit hesitant

and by the way, while most maths applicant at the top unis have physics, it is by no means necessary and you can be as competitive without it! and the same with comsci a-level for CS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by catinsomehat
What? I haven't come across any that ask for Physics. Are you thinking of Computer Engineering? Most Computer Science courses ask for Maths though because it's a subject that's heavy on Maths.

Hence the word 'recommend' :wink:

Quick Reply