The Student Room Group

Computing EPQ

I'm thinking of doing an EPQ related to Computer Science - something about passwords and cybersecurity - but I want to study Mathematics and Computer Science at university and I've heard that Oxford don't care one iota about EPQs for maths applicants. Is this true, and if so, what about other universities? Would an application to Durham or Lancaster be any stronger with an EPQ if I was applying for Maths and Computing?
Reply 1
Original post by ShatnersBassoon
I'm thinking of doing an EPQ related to Computer Science - something about passwords and cybersecurity - but I want to study Mathematics and Computer Science at university and I've heard that Oxford don't care one iota about EPQs for maths applicants. Is this true, and if so, what about other universities? Would an application to Durham or Lancaster be any stronger with an EPQ if I was applying for Maths and Computing?

This is Durham's view:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/study/apply/faqs/?faqno=1986

And Lancaster:
http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/a-level-and-gcse-reform/
"Extended Project (EPQ)
We welcome the EPQ as adding value to a student’s academic profile and as an excellent preparation for the independent study necessary for students to succeed at Lancaster. The majority of our degree programmes will incorporate the EPQ within the offer and eligible applicants may receive two offers; our usual offer plus an offer of an A in the EPQ and one grade lower in their A level subjects (eg AAA at A level; or AAB at A level and an A grade in EPQ)."
Thank you very much for the reply; those links were quite helpful. Lancaster's website says "the majority of our degree programmes will incorporate the EPQ within the offer". Is there any way to tell exactly which courses do and don't? Or is there someone at Lancaster I could email about this?
Reply 3
Thank you very much for the reply; those links were quite helpful. Lancaster's website says "the majority of our degree programmes will incorporate the EPQ within the offer". Is there any way to tell exactly which courses do and don't? Or is there someone at Lancaster I could email about this?

Ask their admissions department. :smile:

As a Computer Science tutor, I quite like to see a Computer Science-related EPQ. It shows an interest in the subject, and can lead to an interesting conversation at interview.

Gavin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending