Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone else's parents get drunk in front of them?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

For as long as I can remember my mum has always drunk quite a lot. I'm now 20 and at uni so not often at home. However when I am home we still have meals as a family a couple of times a week, my mum probably gets drunk nearly ever night and I'm just finding that I'm not coping. I find it incredibly embarrassing and makes me not want to speak to her because she won't remember what we said the next morning. She always becomes quite opinionated on how I look and just generally sexist/racist which obviously makes me uncomfortable but I can't say anything as it would cause a argument.
    It makes me annoyed because I wouldn't dare get drunk in front of her and she would find it so disrespectful, so I don't understand why she does it to me. It's made me really resent her and I feel like I couldn't bring friends around in case she got drunk.

It just feels like I have no one to talk to as none of my friends parents get drunk, maybe an occasional night and its quite funny, but not every night while they're having a meal.

Sorry for the rant, I guess I'm just asking if anyone else's parent does this and how they cope? I wouldn't be able to speak to my mum about it as she doesn't believe that she has an alcohol problem despite hiding alcohol that she takes up to her room. Any help?

can you pull other members of the family in and talk to her together? intervention is a really cheesy sounding way to do it but it does sound like she has a problem with alcohol... I've seen both my parents drunk but not constantly or every night...

how drunk does she get ?
    My mum doesnt drink at all, and same with my dad, barring a few family occasions where he might sip on a glass of spirits/beer/cider., hes a massive light weight so doesnt really drink that much.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.