The Student Room Group

Revision Times

I am thinking of doing about 5 hours of revision time a day (including past papers and making and reading notes. Is that enough/too much?
Original post by msj/rsj
I am thinking of doing about 5 hours of revision time a day (including past papers and making and reading notes. Is that enough/too much?

I know this isn't exactly the answer you were looking for, but instead of trying to do a certain number of hours of revision each day, I would suggest just picking a few topics from each of your subjects each day and revising them. If you try to revise for 5 hours each day, you'll probably just end up stressing yourself out if other commitments etc come up which prevent you from doing it :smile:
Reply 2
Yeah i get where you're coming from but at the same time i really want ti do well in these exams and so i feel like i have to give it my all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by msj/rsj
Yeah i get where you're coming from but at the same time i really want ti do well in these exams and so i feel like i have to give it my all

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my opinion, revising 2 hours a day efficiently is giving it all you have. Using your brain to learn the stuff efficiently requires a lot of work from the brain and therefore you are giving it your all without realising it xD.
Original post by msj/rsj

Starting from when? If you're saying from September, then that's way too much.
Reply 5
Oh really? Thats what i was going to do? What would be your opinion on the time needed as i want to do 2-3 subjects a day (maybe 3 hours). Also is it bad to revise too much?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by msj/rsj
Oh really? Thats what i was going to do? What would be your opinion on the time needed as i want to do 2-3 subjects a day (maybe 3 hours). Also is it bad to revise too much?
Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a good amount. You can revise more, but it requires a lot of energy!
Original post by redbronze1
That sounds like a good amount. You can revise more, but it requires a lot of energy!

I agree - you don't want to do too much because you run the risk of burning yourself out by the end of the year which wouldn't be good. Try out different revision times and see what is best.
As said above, if you do too much revision too early on then you will most likely burn out. Doing a few hours of effective revision is better than doing more/many hours of less effective revision; if you commit too many hours a day it will prevent you from being able to do other things and just stress you out.

If you want to set specific amounts of time to revise, maybe try with a smaller amount and then gradually increase it throughout the year/as you get closer to exams?
Reply 9
Yes, good idea...i will probably start with 3 then increase to 5 or 6 leading up to an exam...thanks everyone for the advice!
Original post by msj/rsj
Yes, good idea...i will probably start with 3 then increase to 5 or 6 leading up to an exam...thanks everyone for the advice!

Never bang out before your exams - that's when your the most stressed lol.
Do 3 hours a day and then maybe do 4-5 hours in like April/May and then before your exams it should just be 1 hour a day (mind joggers).
You can, but make sure you time manage very well. What I did is I made a goal to finish making flash cards for all my study guides by Christmas, starting September 5th (111 days). For example, there is about 330 pages in my Biology book, so that's 330 / 111 = 3 (rounded) pages per day, so I'm going to do 3 pages per day, which would take me around 30 minutes.
Reply 12
Original post by JourneyToSuccess
You can, but make sure you time manage very well. What I did is I made a goal to finish making flash cards for all my study guides by Christmas, starting September 5th (111 days). For example, there is about 330 pages in my Biology book, so that's 330 / 111 = 3 (rounded) pages per day, so I'm going to do 3 pages per day, which would take me around 30 minutes.

That seems really manageable but I don't absorb info as well with flashcards as I do for notes and past papers but I could use that structure.

Quick Reply

Latest