The Student Room Group

what to do if my a level course isn't run?

I fear media studies may not be run at our school as i know of only 3 people who want to do it and maybe 1 or 2 more at most. I think it may not be run due to funding. However, i want to become a film director so would help me a lot if i could do media. If it is cancelled, what can i do to take it. Is it easy to do a school swap where i go to another school for media lessons?
Reply 1
No university course will require Media Studies - English would be an acceptable alternative. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to study 1 A level at one college and the others elsewhere as the timetables just won't match up.
Reply 2
Original post by Compost
No university course will require Media Studies - English would be an acceptable alternative. It's highly unlikely you'd be able to study 1 A level at one college and the others elsewhere as the timetables just won't match up.

I meant like a school consortium possibly. I know it's not a requirement but all courses do require a portfolio and a bit of relavent experience. Without media studies i don't have that so media becomes a sort of requirement for me because of the requirements set which without media, by myself i would not be able to achieve
Reply 3
If the school you go to isn't in a consortium already then you wouldn't be able to swap between schools. You could always go to another school for all your A levels.
Reply 4
If you're not willing to get a portfolio together off your own back then that's why universities will reject you, not because you didn't have Media Studies A level.*

You don't seem to have the best attitude if you want to become a film director. The people who make it to the top are the people who live and breathe celluloid. You're letting the fact that your school doesn't run a fifth rate A level stop you.

I will also point out, though, that you're actually incorrect on one point. There are a number of courses which don't require a portfolio for their courses in film and television production. Doing a facilitating subject would be more of an advantage for those schools than media would anyway. York and Warwick are two that you should look at.*
Reply 5
Original post by giella
If you're not willing to get a portfolio together off your own back then that's why universities will reject you, not because you didn't have Media Studies A level.*

You don't seem to have the best attitude if you want to become a film director. The people who make it to the top are the people who live and breathe celluloid. You're letting the fact that your school doesn't run a fifth rate A level stop you.

I will also point out, though, that you're actually incorrect on one point. There are a number of courses which don't require a portfolio for their courses in film and television production. Doing a facilitating subject would be more of an advantage for those schools than media would anyway. York and Warwick are two that you should look at.*

Maybe i didn't put myself across in the best way but anyone that knows me knows i am crazy about film and that its my one passion in life. Well, the reason i said i need media to do a portfolio is because my family's financial situation is pretty bad right now so i don't have access to filming equipment, editing software, a mac to use the software on without media which would give me in school access to all of that. Plus because of the lack of equipment access i have never actually made a film myself and also because my friends have never wanted to be in them and even if they did, i didn't want to waste time creating something lacklustre because i see film as an art form, os when i make a film i want to make it good, not just 3 10 year olds messing about!
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
If the school you go to isn't in a consortium already then you wouldn't be able to swap between schools. You could always go to another school for all your A levels.

Our school is in a consortium as i spoke to someone who did media in a consortium 2 years ago when media didn't run. Also, by the time i find out for certain, its then too late to change schools or apply to schools as its friday and most schools start monday and all start by Tuesday
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest