The Student Room Group

Should I do a pharmacy degree or a law degree

What are the pros and cons of both Careers?
(edited 7 years ago)
Pharmacy degree:
Pros: You get to be a pharmacist.
Cons: You don't get to be a lawyer.

Law degree:
Pros: You get to be a lawyer.
Cons: You don't get to be a pharmacist.
One helps you become a pharmacist, one helps you become a lawyer.

There obviously more to it than that, but there's plenty of info online about choosing careers so you should do some research first to answer your own questions.
DON'T DO PHARMACY

It's an absolute ******** career, it's like working in a factory churning out prescriptions like a machine!
I wouldnt recommend either degree if you don't have an interest
As opposed to which one you think you should be, which one do you think of first when I ask you what you wanna be doing in 10 years time? Also might be that you want to do neither Law nor pharmacy
Reply 6
Literally me last year!!!!
Both are different fields, however theyre are quite similar. Both require you to be a peoples person, enjoy helping people and come up with solutions to problems.

Personally I chose pharmacy (despite the current hate towards career and difficulties in the career) because I realised my passion lies within science (kinda cliché ik). Also i did work experience in both a pharmacy and a solicitors firm and despite being more interested in the lawyer world I realised pharmacy is more suited to me.
Also in pharmacy i have the option to be part of community, hospital or industry... Its very broad and the degree opens brilliant opportunities!

Definitely get some experience in both fields, even if its just for a day and see which one you prefer. Study the pharmacist and the lawyer and see how well you can see yourself being that person... You may end up deciding on a completely new career or hopefully choose one of the two.

I know it can be stressful so feel free to PM me.
Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jaffacakes101
What are the pros and cons of both Careers?

A law degree is worthless. It's over-saturated by a few tens of thousands of students and you need to do many follow up qualifications. Unless you get an internship whilst at uni at a big firm you won't get anywhere.

Pharmacy is more straight forward but doesn't pay as well as it use to. However if you graduate and start doing follow up accreditation then it pays very well and you can move countries too.
Do Pharmacy. If you still want to do Law you can always do the conversion course later on
Pharmacy in this country is finished. The Royal pharmaceutical society are shocking at protecting their members interests and pharmacy in general is over saturated and wages are down compared to back in the day when it was a really prestigious occupation which provided a good standard of living. However I wouldn't recommend law unless you are dedicated to it because unless you seek out opportunities yourself during your law degree you will find it hard to get a training contract. Law is good for general graduate schemes too though tbh. It's your choice but you could get bored with some of the law modules if you don't fully look at the modules beforehand
Original post by Jimbo1234
A law degree is worthless. It's over-saturated by a few tens of thousands of students and you need to do many follow up qualifications. Unless you get an internship whilst at uni at a big firm you won't get anywhere.

Pharmacy is more straight forward but doesn't pay as well as it use to. However if you graduate and start doing follow up accreditation then it pays very well and you can move countries too.

Could you tell me a bit more about the follow up accreditation please

Quick Reply

Latest