The Student Room Group
Original post by escg
Hey guys,

Just done my GCSEs, I got 6A*s 3As and 2Bs. I got into the Grammar school Sixth Form near me - yay!

However, they didn't offer 4 A levels as the new spec would be too much they said? I took Chemistry, Biology and Maths - standard for medical school. However I'm worried only 3 won't be enough?

Thanks guys,

If your school did not offer 4 then that is fine! That can be included in your personal statement when you are applying to medical schools. You can't be disadvantaged compared to other applicants if your college didn't give you a choice.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by escg
Hey guys,

Just done my GCSEs, I got 6A*s 3As and 2Bs. I got into the Grammar school Sixth Form near me - yay!

However, they didn't offer 4 A levels as the new spec would be too much they said? I took Chemistry, Biology and Maths - standard for medical school. However I'm worried only 3 won't be enough?

Thanks guys,

No need to be worried. 3 A levels is enough, as most medical schools only require 3, and only a few will be asking for 4, so it really depends on your university choices :smile:
Original post by escg
Hey guys,

Thanks guys,

Yes you should be, most places ask for an AS level at a B or A but if you don't do 4 AS levels then you won't have that,you will just have 3 A levels at the end of A2 and no As level.
Reply 4
Original post by james Thompson56
Yes you should be, most places ask for an AS level at a B or A but if you don't do 4 AS levels then you won't have that,you will just have 3 A levels at the end of A2 and no As level.

I'll have 1 AS which will be Maths - but that is still the old spec, the new spec comes next year I believe
Original post by escg
I'll have 1 AS which will be Maths - but that is still the old spec, the new spec comes next year I believe

What are you doing for A2? Usually you start at as level with 4 subjects and then drop one at as level and just do 3 full A levels,is that what you're doing?
Reply 6
What are you doing for A2? Usually you start at as level with 4 subjects and then drop one at as level and just do 3 full A levels,is that what you're doing?

That's the thing, I'm doing two of my subjects (Biology and Chemistry) in the new A-Level format - where it will be a linear two year long qualification. And I'm doing the old Maths A-Level format where I'm doing the AS and A2 exams. So I'm wondering are most students this year just taking 3 even if you're able to take 4?
Original post by escg
That's the thing, I'm doing two of my subjects (Biology and Chemistry) in the new A-Level format - where it will be a linear two year long qualification. And I'm doing the old Maths A-Level format where I'm doing the AS and A2 exams. So I'm wondering are most students this year just taking 3 even if you're able to take 4?

I'd ask your school to do 4 and then drop one and have it just as an AS level, if you do maths at as level and then carry onto do A2 maths then you will just have an A2 not both. You will be intelligent enough to do 4
I'd ask your school to do 4 and then drop one and have it just as an AS level, if you do maths at as level and then carry onto do A2 maths then you will just have an A2 not both. You will be intelligent enough to do 4

I've just completed AS level and I did 4 subjects Maths Biology Chemistry and geography and so I'm dropping geography and keeping that as just an AS level and the other 3 I will carry onto to A2. Then when applying to uni I would have 3 a levels and 1 as level.
Original post by escg
Hey guys,

Thanks guys,

Congrats on your GCSE results!

3 full A levels is all you need for most places. I can't think of any unis that'd ask for 4 as part of a standard offer.
Some may still ask for a 4th AS or an EPQ (in light of the A level reforms it's probably more likely to be the latter), but given your college isn't allowing you to take more than 3 subjects it'd just be a case of letting them know. When you get to that stage, do a bit of research and call up/email admissions to ask for advice - I think most unis are understanding, but if they're not you don't want to go there anyway :wink:

In the meantime, just focus on nailing the subjects you are doing :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by lightwoXd
Some may still ask for a 4th AS or an EPQ (in light of the A level reforms it's probably more likely to be the latter),

Nowhere requires a 4th AS or EPQ.

UCL used to, for example, but no longer.

(Edit: oops, just realised this is an old post... anyway perhaps the info might be useful to someone. :smile:. )

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

I don't know of any medical degrees that require a fourth A Level in their entry requirements since he reforms (they definitely used to).

Latest

Trending

Trending