Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Graduation ceremony! (What's it like? - Anxious)

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Thanks for the replies!

Nah, not laughable at all. Actually, a lot of people are nervous about it, and a ton of students are paranoid about tripping and falling on their faces when they get up on stage. I've been university staff for years and attend a ton of graduations—I've never seen that happen. If it should happen, rest assured that everyone is so focussed on their own thing (or on their friends, relatives, whoever they are there to see) that they are highly unlikely to notice. The ceremonies are scheduled to be 1 hour and 15 minutes long, so the 10:30am ceremony will leave the cathedral at 11:45am. It really doesn't last that long and you are only on the stage for a few seconds. Enjoy your graduation!

Honestly just try to enjoy the day instead of worrying and dreading it. It's a moment you should be extremely proud of and the atmosphere is great. When you get there and see so many other students in the exact same position, you will hopefully be able to control your nerves and enjoy the moment.

I was an extremely anxious person throughout my teen years, even in uni presentations, but uni and the struggle of securing grad employment has helped me overcome it. Now irl I feel nothing instead of nerves it's great.
    I still feel anxious when I get a phone call and calling back recruiters etc, but I literally just prepare what I'm going to say and talk with confidence. You will quickly find that you need to gain confidence or learn to fake it, otherwise you'll be held back in your career and you cannot keep living like that.

I was in seat B12 2nd row from the front and seeing the crowd behind me didn't make me nervous at all. It was exciting because everyone is uniform in their gowns and you feel just like everyone else.

You are on the stage for 5 seconds and everyone claps for you and you will feel so accepted and honored. Yes, the camera shows you on t.v screens.
    Do your makeup good and wear a nice outfit, whatever makes you feel and look fabulous.

My ceremony was 7.30pm until 8.50ish. Then you're led out of the cathedral to the drinks reception and the crowd are all smiling and clapping for you. It's such a proud and fabulous moment. Keep a positive outlook and enjoy!! You have plenty of time to prepare for it.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.