The Student Room Group

Beginning alevel English literature in September

Is there anything I can do to prepare?
Original post by ForeverFrench

Hi!

To be honest the best thing you could do is find out what your texts you'll be studying and read them beforehand. It's always good to be familiar with the books/poems before your start the course, though it's not essential.

Also, I bought a book for uni English Lit called 'The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms' which could be pretty useful at A Level too. (You can probably get it in the library - though I wouldn't try and read it all at once, more like refer to it throughout the year).

But don't worry about it too much, I found at A Level they pretty much give you all the info you need and set you the work to do once you're there. But if you do have some spare time maybe reading the novel(s) you're studying would be good, if you really want try and prepare.

Best of luck, I hope you enjoy! :smile:
Original post by ForeverFrench

Apart from reading the texts, there's nothing you can really do other than read around the subject. But you'll do all this in class or as homework anyway.

So I would say, enjoy your summer and make sure you read for leisure because you might end up disliking some of the texts you study and start to hate reading in general!

Take it easy for now, and just enjoy what you have left of your summer holidays chick! :flutter:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
Apart from reading the texts, there's nothing you can really do other than read around the subject. But you'll do all this in class or as homework anyway.

So I would say, enjoy your summer and make sure you read for leisure because you might end up disliking some of the texts you study and start to hate reading in general!

Take it easy for now, and just enjoy what you have left of your summer holidays chick! :flutter:

I'm doing the bloody chamber and the picture of Dorian Gray and they haven't chosen which Shakespeare play we'll do
Just to reiterate- actually read the books and don't be tempted to put it off.

We did Mrs Dalloway and Wuthering Heights for the prose half of the course this year, and I actually hated Mrs. Dalloway so much that I put off reading it all summer, then all year, and eventually ended up sitting the exam having still not read the book. I still got an A, but please, don't do that, it's a terrible idea.

Also, maybe start to think about key themes in the texts or research the background of the author/ writer to help your contextual understanding or something? Just means you'll be a little bit ahead of the game when you start.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending