Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Constantly feel like crap after missing uni offers

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

As the title says, I missed my uni offers just over a week ago. I had Cambridge as my firm and I was so excited to go there but unfortunately I missed out on a second A* by a few UMS so was rejected, and also rejected from my insurance for the same missed grade.

I wasn't as upset as I thought I would be to start with, however my remarks just came back without changing so I think that now it's really hit home that I'm not going to university. All my friends are talking about uni and it's really getting to me. I feel like **** all the time because, without trying to sound arrogant, I was always one of the top 3 or so cleverest at my school and nobody ever thought (myself included) that it would be me who missed a university offer. I'm normally quite modest so that feels wrong to say but it's true.

My best friend was accepted to her first choice (a top uni, won't say which) despite getting ABB instead of AAA and is now moaning that she doesn't actually want to do that course and they won't let her swap. I feel like a bad friend but at the same time, I just want to tell her to shut up, she got accepted to a great uni for a great course without even having the grades, she should feel lucky. Someone else I know got into an AAA course with BCC. I know life is unfair but it's been really hard for me to see these people get in when they did a fair bit worse than I did.

My teachers are telling me to apply for Oxford this year, since I checked with them and my grades are fine for applying there. I really can't decide if I want to or not, part of me feels like I could be successful there as I got an offer for Cambridge and everything, but part of me is scared to get rejected again since I feel I got quite lucky with my Cambridge offer.

So yeah, I'm struggling. I have some good things lined up for a gap year but it's not the same. I'm dreading the end of September when most of my friends go off to uni, I know that will kill me. I didn't exactly get bad grades (A*AAA) but school was always one thing I was good at, even if everything else in life was going wrong I knew I could go to school and do well in lessons and exams. I'd set my heart too much on Cambridge and now I seem to spend hours a day crying over the fact that I threw away such a great opportunity. I'm trying to get out the house and distract myself but it's hard to be around friends who are just talking about what they're doing to prepare for uni.

Sorry this is quite long, thanks to anyone who read it all

Was your insurance offer the same grades as your firm? Did you have any 'safe' offers?

Either way, there's no point dwelling on it now. You didn't 'throw away an opportunity' - it was never there to start with. You didn't get the grades so you're not going to uni this year. You now need to go and have a great gap year (assuming you still want to apply next year), get some decent work experience to go on your cv, and have some fun. Learn a language, save some money, travel, read... the list is endless. You'll then be in a great place to talk about how this experience has helped you develop as a person etc when you apply again. And you'll certainly get in somewhere good next year. And remember - contrary to what most of TSR thinks - it's not all about Oxbridge. Good luck!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.