The Student Room Group

The alt-right are more "regressive" than the "regressive" left

Tbh

Imagine idolising a self-hating gay man

Imagine actuslly taking a an associate of ALEX JONES seriously

Imagine thinking that Islam is a real problem

Imagine blindly hating multiple civil rights movements just because some dude on YouTube tells you to

Scroll to see replies

Nah I'm pretty sure they're both as much a bunch of bigoted retards as the other.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Nah I'm pretty sure they're both as much a bunch of bigoted retards as the other.

TSR is full of alt-right ppl tho that was the point of the thread
Reply 3
I agree with the OP outside of Islam. Because it is a problem.

But the good news is, the alt-right is all bark and no bite. It might seem like things are getting worse, but actually white men are losing their power to oppress as the days go by, which is exactly why they are emotional as of recent.
Lmao the alt right is full of anime nonces
The alt right are ****ing annoying. We should let them build a wall around themselves: they feel safe from 'white genocide' and we don't have to interact with them so it's a win win scenario.
Original post by stillridin
Tbh

Imagine idolising a self-hating gay man

Imagine actuslly taking a an associate of ALEX JONES seriously

Imagine thinking that Islam is a real problem

Imagine blindly hating multiple civil rights movements just because some dude on YouTube tells you to

Maybe true, but then given that they usually consider themselves to be conservatives, there isn't much cognitive dissonance if they are a little regressive. When people claiming to be progressive romanticise an ultra-conservative religion, that is cognitive dissonance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by JohnGreek
Oh not another political correctness troll

I'm not even a troll. This is my issue with you ppl, you can't critisize any of your idols or ideologies with being barraged with ad-hom attacks
TSR is full of alt-right ppl tho that was the point of the thread

Your thread wasn't titled "TSR is full of alt-right ppl" tho.
Reply 9
What exactly is alt-right anyway? It seems to be thrown at anybody who criticises the authoritarian, aggressive sect of leftists, that I think can appropriately be referred to as the regressive left, we see constantly gaining traction nowadays, regardless of the actual political leanings of said critics. From what I can gather simply seeing issues with uncontrolled immigration and multiculturalism lands you a place on the right, which is rather laughable. I guess genuine alt-righters must have other conservative views, as from what I understand it is a coherent movement with prominent figures proclaiming themselves to indeed be alt-right.
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
What exactly is alt-right anyway? It seems to be thrown at anybody who criticises the authoritarian, aggressive sect of leftists, that I think can appropriately be referred to as the regressive left, we see constantly gaining traction nowadays, regardless of the actual political leanings of said critics. From what I can gather simply seeing issues with uncontrolled immigration and multiculturalism lands you a place on the right, which is rather laughable. I guess genuine alt-righters must have other conservative views, as from what I understand it is a coherent movement with prominent figures proclaiming themselves to indeed be alt-right.

With all due respect, this article outlines what an alt-right "member" is.
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/25/politics/alt-right-explained-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

Again it's from CNN which does have a slightly left leaning bias.
But hopefully it explains stuff
Would someone please tell me what the **** alt-right is?
Original post by KingBradly
Maybe true, but then given that they usually consider themselves to be conservatives, there isn't much cognitive dissonance if they are a little regressive. When people claiming to be progressive romanticise an ultra-conservative religion, that is cognitive dissonance.

I can't think of one person who matches your description who isn't muslim
Imagine being too afraid to describe yourself accurately as 'white supremacist' and have to resort to the PC 'alt-right'...
Reply 14
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/25/politics/alt-right-explained-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/

I like how they portray the alt-right as anti-semetic, islamophobic, misogynist etc, when they also show that they are basically s***posters who will target anyone no matter their gender, race, religion or political leanings just to get a reaction.

I would say on the political side the article pushes a slightly more extreme version of the typical alt-righter but it isn't far off.
Agreed, all they've done is copied all the guidance given in the SJW handbook and taken the opposite political positions.
"Regressive" and "left" is an oxymoron. Being on the left is by default being progressive and someone who seeks equality.
The Alternative Right has been formed as a result of the left's incessant need to ignore the concerns of the working class demographic, hence allowing vocal minorities among the disenfranchised to attach themselves to radical movements promulgating against their own socioeconomic interests. I'm not a fan of Donald Trump, nor am I a fan of Milo, but both have managed to manipulate the working class vote by preying on their insecurities. If we, as so-called progressives, are unwilling to comprehend the others' concerns then we are adding to the discontent which has led the western down a path of political extremism. In saying that, however, the regressive left has become one of the heinous political movements of modern times, notably because of their unfounded appeasement of political correctness and their willingness to stray from classical liberalism to pander to ethnic minorities and their own skewed agenda.

I wouldn't consider myself left wing, but I do bot agree with the alt-right. I'd recommend people listen to Ben Shapiro (Conservative), Dave Rubin (Liberal) and Sam Harris (Moderate) if you want to have a fresh perspective on world events and geopolitics.
Original post by Mathemagicien
I would argue that introducing Islam - and thus the regressive ideas, such as its treatment of women, religion, and superstition - is regressive; and by extension, those who support Islamisation - above womens' rights and gay rights - can be labelled regressive.

Campaigning against Islamophobia =/= endorsing the stricter parts of Islam which are not even practised by all Muslims anyway.

To be fair, CNN have been found to literally take orders from the DNC (as per the email leak) and be engaging in smear campaigns against people who are anti-Hillary. Again, that's no conspiracy theory, it's all in the leak. Speaking of conspiracy theories, CNN label criticism of Hillary as conspiracy theories regardless of their truthfulness. Not that I don't think your point has an air of truth to it (some of these "alt-right" groups are completely insane) but I'd strongly advise against using CNN as a source for anything regarding this as it's tied to their wider campaign of shilling for Clinton by labelling her detractors as crazy.

Quick Reply