The Student Room Group

Do I need Maths for A-Level Chemsitry?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by TomSuffolk
I know, but it's just the whole maths thing. I really want to do medicine so I need AAA at the end. Just worried that halfway through I'll realise that I've made a fatal error by not taking maths and do badly in chemistry.

Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're worrying about nothing. There is no A Level maths content in chemistry.
Original post by metrize
Do further maths if you are able

I can't think of anything worse

Posted from TSR Mobile
To those 31.88% of people who thought it helped a lot...

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?
Reply 183
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
To those 31.88% of people who thought it helped a lot...

WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?

They're tits.
Ffs, Tom mate, you don't need A Level Maths. I know it sounds patronising, but the people saying it helps don't really know what they're talking about. It is rearranging equations and converting between units. It is A grade GCSE at the WORST.
You might as well do maths anyway if you're going to pick sciences

Is there any reason why you want to avoid maths? Seems odd
(edited 7 years ago)
I've just been to enrol and I intended to take A-Level Chemistry. The head of sixth form urged me not to take Chemistry without taking atleast AS Maths because apparently I'll massively struggle at A2.

This is the first time I've ever been told that Maths is crucial for A-Level Chemistry.

I'm quite competent with maths (A* at GCSE) however I really don't enjoy it and I really don't want to take it at A-Level at all.

So how important is A-Level maths for Chemistry? And will I completely crumble if I don't take it; like the head of sixth form said?

Do I need maths

(Excuse the misspelling of Chemistry in the title)

Maths isn't necessary. I only did maths to AS and i am doing a chemistry degree at the moment. I'm surviving just fine. You don't have to do A level maths but you do need to be able to pick up maths quickly.
Original post by metrize
You might as well do maths anyway if you're going to pick sciences

Is there any reason why you want to avoid maths? Seems odd

I'm not naturally maths minded, so I'd rather take a subject I'd enjoy instead of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Ffs, Tom mate, you don't need A Level Maths. I know it sounds patronising, but the people saying it helps don't really know what they're talking about. It is rearranging equations and converting between units. It is A grade GCSE at the WORST.

Thank god, I think I've decided not to take maths anyway, but I've still got a few days left to decide fully

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not naturally maths minded, so I'd rather take a subject I'd enjoy instead of maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah fair enough then
Original post by Hayley Williams
Maths isn't necessary. I only did maths to AS and i am doing a chemistry degree at the moment. I'm surviving just fine. You don't have to do A level maths but you do need to be able to pick up maths quickly.

Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest