The Student Room Group

Applying for computer science

Hello I want to apply for computer science and i have a good idea what the subject is about. I have no programming background, but I like maths. Can you recommend me any books or tutorials i could to boost my personal statement.
Also do you think if i put for example a book that i'm reading on my personal statement and i know i will read it by the time of the interview then do you think that is fine.
Reply 1
In terms of books, I'll give you a list of my favorites. The Cathedral and the Bazaar; Free Software, Free Society; Free as in Freedom; The Art of Computer Programming. Though if you can get through that last one you probably shouldn't be doing a CS degree.

In terms of tutorials, I recommend you either start learning Python by doing things (don't do tutorials, they suck; instead, decide on a project and implement it), or read some popular textbooks which give you overviews of both theory and practice (Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, The Little Schemer, etc come to mind).

Alternatively, if you're looking for more technical stuff: find a bit of computer science you're interested in, look through the Wikipedia page, find some papers/textbooks about it, look through those and find some interesting-looking articles in the references. Rinse and repeat until you find something that sounds cool.

It's fine to put down a book you're in the process of reading, if you know you'll finish it before interview. It's not fine to put down a book you've only vaguely heard of and assume you'll read it by interview, because chances are, you won't.
Original post by HideyoKids
Hello I want to apply for computer science and i have a good idea what the subject is about. I have no programming background, but I like maths. Can you recommend me any books or tutorials i could to boost my personal statement.
Also do you think if i put for example a book that i'm reading on my personal statement and i know i will read it by the time of the interview then do you think that is fine.

If (kidsHidden)
{
Proceed();
}
else
{
HideYoKids();
}

I would recommend new boston, they have some pretty good tutorials
https://thenewboston.com/videos.php
Reply 3
Original post by trythis
In terms of books, I'll give you a list of my favorites. The Cathedral and the Bazaar; Free Software, Free Society; Free as in Freedom; The Art of Computer Programming. Though if you can get through that last one you probably shouldn't be doing a CS degree.

In terms of tutorials, I recommend you either start learning Python by doing things (don't do tutorials, they suck; instead, decide on a project and implement it), or read some popular textbooks which give you overviews of both theory and practice (Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs, The Little Schemer, etc come to mind).

Alternatively, if you're looking for more technical stuff: find a bit of computer science you're interested in, look through the Wikipedia page, find some papers/textbooks about it, look through those and find some interesting-looking articles in the references. Rinse and repeat until you find something that sounds cool.

It's fine to put down a book you're in the process of reading, if you know you'll finish it before interview. It's not fine to put down a book you've only vaguely heard of and assume you'll read it by interview, because chances are, you won't.

Thanks a lot mate - some great advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending