The Student Room Group

Why is there not more anger over Phillip Green?

Phillip Green took over BHS with the intention of asset stripping the company. He raided around an estimated 400-600 million from the pension pot.

As a result 22,000 individuals have lost their pension, while Green used the money to buy yachts.

When he was being investigated by our Parliament he refused to comply unless certain MPs that he disliked such as Frank Field were taken off the committee.

Now he is 'offering' to pay back some money into the pension pot but has tried to bribe the government by claiming he will only give money back if the investigation on him is dropped.

His actions cost thousands of ordinary workers their pension which they had been accruing for years.

Yet where is the outrage?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What a lad :')
Good for him. It's his money, he can do whatever he wants with it.
It's a rather embarrassing for the establishment. Given that this greedy prick was given a knighthood and worked for the former Prime Minister.
Original post by #ChaosKass

It's not his money though. It was the money of thousands of employees who had been paying into their pension pot which he took.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I genuinely just don't care. To be honest though, it's gotten loads of negative coverage in the Daily Mail.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I genuinely just don't care. To be honest though, it's gotten loads of negative coverage in the Daily Mail.

Would you care if someone committed benefit fraud?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because in this nation all we do is complain, that's what we love to do: complain. Fortunately for us, recently there's been so much to complain about, we've been spoilt for choice, however Phillip green isn't on top of the things we hate most about our society list right now
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Because in this nation all we do is complain, that's what we love to do: complain. Fortunately for us, recently there's been so much to complain about, we've been spoilt for choice, however Phillip green isn't on top of the things we hate most about our society list right now

He raided the pensions of 22,000 workers and is now blackmailing our Parliament. Yet that's seemingly acceptable to some.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because I expect nothing less of him. He has been the poster boy of grubby capitalism for well over a decade.
I don't care about BHS. Its closing was worth maybe one or two headlines, at most.
It would be nice to see all of the major offshore tax dodgers brought back to Britain for a proper settling of accounts. For a start, no access to our markets unless you pay your taxes here. We could start with Richard Branson.
Original post by KingBradly
I don't care about BHS. Its closing was worth maybe one or two headlines, at most.

It's less about their closing and more about the taking of their pensions and the blackmail of our politicians.

Typical. When an ultra wealthy individual abuses the system, swiping the pensions of thousands and costing them their jobs you don't care at all. Yet no doubt if there was an individual who falsely claimed benefits you'd be all over it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Phillip Green who?
Reply 14
Rich man does something scummy and it has cost poorer people, it happens everyday.
Original post by joecphillips
Rich man does something scummy and it has cost poorer people, it happens everyday.

Why aren't you angry about it? Why should he get away with it just because he is rich? Why should he get away with blackmailing our elected politicians?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by #ChaosKass

Actually it belonged to the pensioners.
Whether he acted legally is still being investigated. The accountants and pensions regulatory bodies are investigating as well as the insolvencu service and potentially the SFO.
He's the living embodiment of everything wrong with our system. Honestly I'd have him hanged or something, utter scumbag
Is Philip Green one of the progressive billionaire Zionists who finances the progressive Left? Maybe I'm thinking of another one...
I am not angry with him but with the incentive structure, lack of transparency, etc etc. However can we expect capitalists to act morally? The whole of capitalism is to act selfishly. Instead we must eliminate all moral hazard. Anger is understandable, should be encouraged for political expediency, but I do not get angry: I hope to get even.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest