The Student Room Group

Maths gcse (going into year 11)

I was wondering whether any of you guys could give me some advice on how to I guess, teach yourself maths. See I don't feel confident in the subject anymore and once I go back to school, we'll be preparing for the GCSE. I'm extremely worried, since I was once a high B and now have dropped to a low C. I really want to be able to achieve higher in the GCSE, a high B at the minimum. I hope to get a reply soon!
I would recommend you buy CGP's Mathsbuster. Absolutely amazing. Good luck! :h:
Reply 2
Hello! I've just finished GCSE's and also passed maths. I was doing the foundation paper and the highest grade i could achieve is a C. All my teachers predicted me a E and in January i was at a E grade. I really wanted to change this so i did loads of past papers from the edexcel website and guess what? I got a C at the end. So all i can say...do past papers, i would suggest doing the non calculator first and Mark it and see what you got. Then the next day do the calculator paper and do the exact same, eventually you will see a improvement. I revised for 5 solid months and passed so if you do the same, you can easily get the A grade!....trust me, you may think it'll not help but damn it does work. It is the best method for passing as you learn the type of questions in the exams. Good luck and i hope you listen :smile:! ...

do you want me to give you the link for the past papers? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Pedrex
Hello! I've just finished GCSE's and also passed maths. I was doing the foundation paper and the highest grade i could achieve is a C. All my teachers predicted me a E and in January i was at a E grade. I really wanted to change this so i did loads of past papers from the edexcel website and guess what? I got a C at the end. So all i can say...do past papers, i would suggest doing the non calculator first and Mark it and see what you got. Then the next day do the calculator paper and do the exact same, eventually you will see a improvement. I revised for 5 solid months and passed so if you do the same, you can easily get the A grade!....trust me, you may think it'll not help but damn it does work. It is the best method for passing as you learn the type of questions in the exams. Good luck and i hope you listen :smile:! ...

do you want me to give you the link for the past papers? :smile:

>>>>>>>
Yes please! But apparently, this year my maths papers are going to be extremely different as we are following the new grading scheme. So I'm unsure whether there would be the same questions or would it be different?
Practice, practice, practice! I went from a low B to a high A (only a few marks off an A*) in 3 months as I worked so hard! Ask your teacher for help as they are your best source of help. Go to revision sessions, ask your teachers for practice questions that you struggle with, test yourself with past exam papers in exam conditions and then target your weak areas. I hated maths but I am so glad I worked so hard as it was the best feeling ever when I saw my grade. Best of luck for your exams :smile:
I went from the D/C borderline to an A* grade using http://mathswebsite.com/ Its a really useful website that lets you mark every topic individually, only took me around 2 months to catch up and I was slacking so if you are dedicated then you will get an easy A* :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you so much! I think that I'll start once I go back into school and slowly build up my grades.
Reply 7
It's sooo important to understand things. I didn't really learn pythagorus and trig until the night before my exam and honestly that was my saving grace. Understanding and then constantly applying it will get you far
Reply 8
Original post by J116
>>>>>>>
Yes please! But apparently, this year my maths papers are going to be extremely different as we are following the new grading scheme. So I'm unsure whether there would be the same questions or would it be different?

Damn it i forgot they changed the papers so their different now. Im not too sure actually, i think they are just adding new topics into them so if that's the case, using previous past papers won't work. Im really sorry for the false information. Though what i cam say is learn the topics you struggle on the most and also..make sure you know the basic stuff! I may sound silly but i always used to loose marks by getting the first questions wrong :smile: don't make the same mistake! ....and good luck 😀
Original post by J116
I was wondering whether any of you guys could give me some advice on how to I guess, teach yourself maths. See I don't feel confident in the subject anymore and once I go back to school, we'll be preparing for the GCSE. I'm extremely worried, since I was once a high B and now have dropped to a low C. I really want to be able to achieve higher in the GCSE, a high B at the minimum. I hope to get a reply soon!

Hey! I was on a high D at the start of Year 11, but ended up with an A at GCSE! The secret is past papers - do as many as you possibly can, there is nothing else to it. Make sure you can do every past paper to B/A grade standard and self mark the paper. Go through the paper, rectifying your mistakes by using a CGP revision guide/whatever you have to understand why you went wrong. You can then attempt the questions again, or complete questions of a similar nature. You'll be fine honestly, you'll probably like Maths by the end of the year because it all "clicks". I dunno I can't explain it but by the end of Year 11 everything just made sense in Maths.

Good luck!:smile:

Websites that are useful:
http://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/
https://keshmaths.com/
Original post by J116
>>>>>>>

Hi, I really recommend you use maths genie as it provides revision videos and exam questions on individual topics. I'm doing foundation and I got a 3 (D) in my mock and I was really disturbed by my grade for the past few days. So I used maths genie to help. Also, here are some sample exam papers for the new GCSE: http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/specification-and-sample-assesment/GCSE-Mathematics-2015-SAM.pdf (The higher papers start at page 93)
Goodluck!

Quick Reply

Latest