The Student Room Group

Chemistry Experiment ideas

I have just completed year 11 and in a week will be starting sixth form. For my chosen subjects there is homework which are called transition projects that I need to do. For chemistry it says I need to conduct an experiment but I'm not really sure what to do the experiment on.
This is what the task says. "Carry out your own investigation into Chemistry of a question of your own choosing. This must be a simple, safe experiment using only normal household substances that do not carry hazard symbols on their labels. This is an opportunity to be creative and maybe find an answer to a question that’s been bothering/intriguing you. It should be predominantly Chemistry but some Bio/Phys crossover is fine. You need to be ready to present/discuss your investigation and your findings.
E.g. I could decide to investigate how much salt/sugar I could add to an absolutely full (deliberately overflowed on a flat surface and then allowed to stand until it stopped overflowing) glass of water without it overflowing. I could then investigate the effect of detergent on surface tension by repeating my original expt. with different amounts of detergent added."
Any suggestions would go appreciated
check out this http://www.rsc.org/learn-chemistry/resource/listing?searchtext=&fcategory=all&filter=all&reference=nuffpract&Keyword=KCN00000009 site - they have some really great practicals u could use for inspiration :wink:
Original post by evieee2435
I have just completed year 11 and in a week will be starting sixth form. For my chosen subjects there is homework which are called transition projects that I need to do. For chemistry it says I need to conduct an experiment but I'm not really sure what to do the experiment on.
This is what the task says. "Carry out your own investigation into Chemistry of a question of your own choosing. This must be a simple, safe experiment using only normal household substances that do not carry hazard symbols on their labels. This is an opportunity to be creative and maybe find an answer to a question that’s been bothering/intriguing you. It should be predominantly Chemistry but some Bio/Phys crossover is fine. You need to be ready to present/discuss your investigation and your findings.
E.g. I could decide to investigate how much salt/sugar I could add to an absolutely full (deliberately overflowed on a flat surface and then allowed to stand until it stopped overflowing) glass of water without it overflowing. I could then investigate the effect of detergent on surface tension by repeating my original expt. with different amounts of detergent added."
Any suggestions would go appreciated

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking:
- Make your own crystals with salt, sugar, CuSO4, epsom salts and take note of their crystal structure or something
- Homemade cabbage pH indicator to test household liquids
I feel like there really isn't much choice when it states you can't use substances with a hazard label on, because I'd try something with the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide if I were given the choice
Hope you find an experiment that you can carry out safely though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest