Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do you like Coventry university?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
  • View Poll Results: Is Coventry a good university and do you like it? And why?
    Yes, love it!
    Sure I like it
    It's ok
    I dislike it
    I absolutely hate it!

Ok so I may be going to Coventry this September and I would like your honest opinion. Do you like the university in terms of academics and your life there in general. I don't care too much about the night life.

I did my first year at Coventry University in French and International Relations, however, I decided that course was not for me so I'm going to be a fresher again this month doing French and Spanish. Coventry is a great university, the facilities are good, especially the library which is very modern and incredibly useful. The lecturers are helpful and they all have office hours, which are handy if you need extra help. They'll always reply to emails and nothing ever seems too much. There's such a wide variety of societies and clubs to join, where you'll make many friends if you decide to do so. Coventry University also does an add+vantage module, which is an extra 10-credit module which you'll do in either your first or second semester. These classes run once a week for two hours. There are so many options, like languages (I did Italian), volunteering, research, law (where you actually go to court)... the list goes on.

It's a city university and is very central, so it's within walking distance of pretty much everything. The city has a great choice of supermarkets and small shops, such as Sainsbury's, Lidl (which is a bit further out - we'd usually walk there (10 minutes from Callice Court), and get a taxi back), and Tesco. There's an Asda close by too, but I think you'd need to go there by car. Coventry has acquired a few new gyms in the past year - there are two pure gyms, and one JD gym, neither of which are more than £20 a month. The uni gym is opposite the university, but I found that was overpriced, didn't have a good variety of fitness classes and the gym was very standard. The best thing about Coventry is Fargo Village! It's like a few old warehouses at the top of Far Gosford Street which have been renovated and there are loads of quirky shops inside them now - Bubble Boba (the best bubble tea), Spangles (American sweet shop where they also do cereal 'cocktails', waffles, pancakes, and freak shakes) and looooads of vintage clothes! They also run food fairs (I went to the chocolate fair, and it was full of food vans and chocolate samples), beer nights, film nights, book evenings in the coffee/book shop, and roller derby evenings.

The nightlife in Coventry is okay, nothing to gush about. There are only three major clubs, Kasbah, JJ's and Empire, and they each have their student nights, which can actually be pretty good. You do get bored of them after a while, though. Opposite the university, there are about five bars which are nice, like Ivy House, Quids Inn, and The Phoenix. There's also a Spoons nearby. The good thing is, Birmingham isn't far away at all, they often run buses which get you there (and back, I think) cheaply, and Birmingham nightlife is great. There are also some decent bars in Leamington Spa and Warwick if you did decide to venture out.

I suppose it depends on where you're from, but I found Coventry was a nice city to move away to for the first time. It's got everything there, but it's not too overwhelming, and it's not expensive to have a decent standard of living. It's not very far away from anything - Birmingham is only like a fiver for a return on the train, there are buses to Leicester and it only takes an hour to get to London. Maybe I think this because I'm from a small town in South Wales, however, the Londoners often seemed to find it lacking. Although I like Coventry very much right now, I can't see me living here after I finish university - it's very much a student-oriented city.

Good luck in your first year, enjoy every moment! It flies by. I'll never forget the excitement of finally being independent and learn to do stuff for myself. You'll make the best friends at university. Join societies, have fun and work hard. Don't have the philosophy that 'first year doesn't count'. Attendance is always important, you don't want to get yourself into bad habits. And if you're ever struggling, don't be afraid to ask for help! The university has a counseling service, and failing that, your lecturers will be keen to help out.

Hope this helps!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.