The Student Room Group

Studying a level 2 course, then level 3 in IT next year.. Can I go uni?

Basically, I did bad in my GCSEs due to family problems and now my sixth form college have decided to put me in a GCSE Maths & English retake course, and a BTEC Level 2 IT. I'm going to be studying the BTEC Level 3 in IT next year (don't know what other course), but unfortunately, the UCAS tariffs have changed so that means I won't be able to go uni? I'm planning to go to the University of Bradford, but I don't think they will accept me? I know I have 3 more years to go, but I'm really worried and I should be, because I really want to go uni to study Computer Science/Software Engineering, and I don't think my college puts us on "access courses" (level 2 is access right? Correct me if I'm wrong). Someone help!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
lvl 2 Get's you 5 gcse's, So if you're doing a lvl 2 you're working towards GCSE'S, not Alevels
Reply 2
Original post by Jaktwy
lvl 2 Get's you 5 gcse's, So if you're doing a lvl 2 you're working towards GCSE'S, not Alevels

So that means I can study A levels the next year?
Reply 3
Original post by mrwhitz
Basically, I did bad in my GCSEs due to family problems and now my sixth form college have decided to put me in a GCSE Maths & English retake course, and a BTEC Level 2 IT. I'm going to be studying the BTEC Level 3 in IT next year (don't know what other course), but unfortunately, the UCAS tariffs have changed so that means I won't be able to go uni? I'm planning to go to the University of Bradford, but I don't think they will accept me? I know I have 3 more years to go, but I'm really worried and I should be, because I really want to go uni to study Computer Science/Software Engineering, and I don't think my college puts us on "access courses" (level 2 is access right? Correct me if I'm wrong). Someone help!

Think again about your plan.

If you are doing your redoing your GCSEs this year make sure to pass all of them at least and make sure to get a Distinction or Distinction Star in BTEC Level 2 IT. Because once you do you can enroll to the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma course which is equivalent to 3 A-levels.

I checked up on the uni of bradford and it stated in 2017 you need a DDM for the Extended Diploma for Computer Science. So they will accept you :smile:.

Level 2 should be GCSE level I think access course is level 1.#

EDIT:
If you get a triple D*D*D* in the Level 3 Extended Diploma that will equal to 420 UCAS points allowing you to be accepted at most universities even Bradford.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Rodney98
Think again about your plan.

If you are doing your redoing your GCSEs this year make sure to pass all of them at least and make sure to get a Distinction or Distinction Star in BTEC Level 2 IT. Because once you do you can enroll to the BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma course which is equivalent to 3 A-levels.

I checked up on the uni of bradford and it stated in 2017 you need a DDM for the Extended Diploma for Computer Science. So they will accept you :smile:.

Level 2 should be GCSE level I think access course is level 1.#

EDIT:
If you get a triple D*D*D* in the Level 3 Extended Diploma that will equal to 420 UCAS points allowing you to be accepted at most universities even Bradford.

Ok, so I can definitely go to uni if I pass the BTEC ICT Level 3 diploma/extended? I also don't know if we're going to do the new gcse specifications or the current 'legacy'
Reply 5
Original post by mrwhitz
Ok, so I can definitely go to uni if I pass the BTEC ICT Level 3 diploma/extended? I also don't know if we're going to do the new gcse specifications or the current 'legacy'

Do you know exactly which level 3 IT course that your sixth form provides?

A pass at level 3 will close many doors for you.

For the GCSEs ask your sixth form.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, when I say "pass" I meant get a good result, you know what I mean 😁 And yeah, my sixth form provides the Level 3 Diploma and the Subsidiary diploma, not the extended one sadly.
To be honest you would be far better off doing the Level 3 Extended Diploma which is 2 years and worth 3 A levels. Doing a lot of work for 2 years and it only being worth 2 A Levels seems a bit pointless.
Reply 8
Original post by markova21
To be honest you would be far better off doing the Level 3 Extended Diploma which is 2 years and worth 3 A levels. Doing a lot of work for 2 years and it only being worth 2 A Levels seems a bit pointless.

My college doesn't offer the extended diploma courses
Original post by mrwhitz
My college doesn't offer the extended diploma courses

Yes I know. But can you not do it at another college?
Reply 10
Yes I know. But can you not do it at another college?

Uh.. I don't think so. There's one other college that was rated awful by Ofsted, and the others are much far away. My sixth form college is supposed to be one of the best in the country lol, as they have like 99% BTEC Level 3 passes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, could you calculate my UCAS points. :smile:

I do HSC BTEC level 3 and finished my first-year wit DM.

I am going into my second year this September.

Also how many UCAS points would i need for next year to get into a decent university? i have calculated te highest grade i can get is D*DD

I have checked most of them and they ask for DDM(minimum) but i don't know how much that is in terms of UCAS points.
Reply 12
Original post by mrwhitz
Uh.. I don't think so. There's one other college that was rated awful by Ofsted, and the others are much far away. My sixth form college is supposed to be one of the best in the country lol, as they have like 99% BTEC Level 3 passes

Level 3 is not worth it if you're not doing extended diploma. Just because they have 99% passes does not mean ****. I did level 3 extended diploma. My college has had Ofsted outstanding for years and haven't been below 95% but that is because to fail it you have to literally not do anything at all. Even then the teachers will try to help you at least pass everything. And passing BTEC literally only means at least getting all the pass marks. So not only can each assignment be done in like an hour for a pass, the teachers will also look it over and tell you if you need to add anything.

To fail a BTEC you have to not even attend or do anything.

I'm going to Cardiff uni doing computer science btw. And I did level 3 extended diploma IT.

If you can't do extended diploma then just do level 2 , that equates to 4*GCSE*grades A*-C, then do A levels instead of level 3 if you think you can take it.
Reply 13
Original post by Blackstarr
Hey, could you calculate my UCAS points. :smile:

I do HSC BTEC level 3 and finished my first-year wit DM.

I am going into my second year this September.

Also how many UCAS points would i need for next year to get into a decent university? i have calculated te highest grade i can get is D*DD

I have checked most of them and they ask for DDM(minimum) but i don't know how much that is in terms of UCAS points.

Google BTEC calculator.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Devify
Level 3 is not worth it if you're not doing extended diploma. Just because they have 99% passes does not mean ****. I did level 3 extended diploma. My college has had Ofsted outstanding for years and haven't been below 95% but that is because to fail it you have to literally not do anything at all. Even then the teachers will try to help you at least pass everything. And passing BTEC literally only means at least getting all the pass marks. So not only can each assignment be done in like an hour for a pass, the teachers will also look it over and tell you if you need to add anything.

To fail a BTEC you have to not even attend or do anything.

I'm going to Cardiff uni doing computer science btw. And I did level 3 extended diploma IT.

If you can't do extended diploma then just do level 2 , that equates to 4*GCSE*grades A*-C, then do A levels instead of level 3 if you think you can take it.

Have to agree 100 percent with this. You would be better off doing A Levels than a BTEC Level 3. The only way doing the Level 3 will be beneficial to you would be if you were to also do a separate A level as well, which would be a major headache.
Have to agree 100 percent with this. You would be better off doing A Levels than a BTEC Level 3. The only way doing the Level 3 will be beneficial to you would be if you were to also do a separate A level as well, which would be a major headache.

OP, I have to agree with this don't make a stupid decision.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by mrwhitz

I'm in the same problem. Where have you gotten up to now?

Latest

Trending

Trending