The Student Room Group

English applicants 2017

Hello,

I haven't come across any threads about 2017 applicants in general yet so thought I'd make this thread! I'm the only one of my friendship group that is applying to do English language and linguistics at university, preferably at Southampton.

What about you guys? I feel lonely applying to do English :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I thought I was the only one! I'm applying for English too! :biggrin: What unis are you looking at?
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
I thought I was the only one! I'm applying for English too! :biggrin: What unis are you looking at?

I'm so glad I'm not alone, haha! I want to do English language and linguistics at Southampton, Manchester, Queen Mary, Essex (I know this one sounds daft :wink:) and Bedfordshire. But royal Holloway also looks good.

Anyway, what about you?
Original post by littlemix012
I'm so glad I'm not alone, haha! I want to do English language and linguistics at Southampton, Manchester, Queen Mary, Essex (I know this one sounds daft :wink:) and Bedfordshire. But royal Holloway also looks good.

Anyway, what about you?

Atm my choices are Nottingham, Glasgow, Southampton,Swansea and Bournemouth :smile:
Atm my choices are Nottingham, Glasgow, Southampton,Swansea and Bournemouth :smile:

Sounds good, are you wanting to do just an English degree in general? I would do that but I hate English literature haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sounds good, are you wanting to do just an English degree in general? I would do that but I hate English literature haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah in general. It's either English or my backup subject :smile:
I'm hoping to do English and Mod Langs at Oxford
Original post by Rhaenys10
I'm hoping to do English and Mod Langs at Oxford

Wow what were your GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah in general. It's either English or my backup subject :smile:

Cool, what were your AS grades, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cool, what were your AS grades, if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a B in my A2 and Cs in my ASs :smile:
Wow what were your GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm a EU applicant, and I've already sat my final exams, so basically, my A Level grades are A*A*A*
Original post by Rhaenys10
I'm a EU applicant, and I've already sat my final exams, so basically, my A Level grades are A*A*A*

That is really good, well done you should be so proud! All the best for your English course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is really good, well done you should be so proud! All the best for your English course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aww, thanks a lot! Best of luck to you too, sweetie!
Hello!!
I'm applying to study Literature and Linguistics/Lit & Lang at York, Newcastle and probably QMUL. Queen Mary were my first choice for straight Literature but I've heard horror stories about their English Language/Linguistics department so I'm sceptical. :frown:

How are all your personal statements going?
Original post by brxvebird
Hello!!
I'm applying to study Literature and Linguistics/Lit & Lang at York, Newcastle and probably QMUL. Queen Mary were my first choice for straight Literature but I've heard horror stories about their English Language/Linguistics department so I'm sceptical. :frown:

How are all your personal statements going?

Sounds good, personally I don't like English literature! I've not started my personal statement, I don't know where to start for English language and linguistics! What about you?
Sounds good, personally I don't like English literature! I've not started my personal statement, I don't know where to start for English language and linguistics! What about you?

Each to their own! :biggrin: I do/did them both at A-Level and couldn't chose between them so here we are. :smile:

I've done my first draft, I realised I have a lot more to write about than I thought. I worry it may be more biased toward Literature though.
Each to their own! :biggrin: I do/did them both at A-Level and couldn't chose between them so here we are. :smile:

I've done my first draft, I realised I have a lot more to write about than I thought. I worry it may be more biased toward Literature though.

Ah okay. You mentioned something about horror stories about the English language and linguistics department at Queen Mary? What are they? I'm intrigued 😂
Ah okay. You mentioned something about horror stories about the English language and linguistics department at Queen Mary? What are they? I'm intrigued 😂

Well basically their student satisfaction for linguistics isn't good at all, and I know you shouldn't just take student surveys into account when making decisions about uni so I decided to ask around. I found a guy on Twitter who graduated from QMUL last year having done Language & Linguistics who said something along the lines of "God bless anyone who got into Queen Mary for Linguistics" so I messaged him about it and he sent me a huge e-mail outlining all the awful experiences him and his friends had there.
Long story short (I can share the full e-mail he sent me if you want?) the staff are too invested in their own academic research to actually teach and most of them don't turn up to lectures, they were given impossible tasks in their first class and no advice for the dissertation, which he ultimately almost entirely failed because no one told him his final title wasn't suitable. He and his friends all agreed that QMUL is an amazing, first class university, but the Linguistics department no where near lives up to the rest of it. :frown:
Well basically their student satisfaction for linguistics isn't good at all, and I know you shouldn't just take student surveys into account when making decisions about uni so I decided to ask around. I found a guy on Twitter who graduated from QMUL last year having done Language & Linguistics who said something along the lines of "God bless anyone who got into Queen Mary for Linguistics" so I messaged him about it and he sent me a huge e-mail outlining all the awful experiences him and his friends had there.
Long story short (I can share the full e-mail he sent me if you want?) the staff are too invested in their own academic research to actually teach and most of them don't turn up to lectures, they were given impossible tasks in their first class and no advice for the dissertation, which he ultimately almost entirely failed because no one told him his final title wasn't suitable. He and his friends all agreed that QMUL is an amazing, first class university, but the Linguistics department no where near lives up to the rest of it. :frown:

Oh god that sounds horrific! Would you be able to PM me the email?
Oh god that sounds horrific! Would you be able to PM me the email?

Absolutely! I'll send it over now.

Quick Reply